website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Count

45 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure what those „sins“ have to do with anything …

You could have also mentioned the Chinese „sins“ (Tibet, Uyghurs, Taiwan, Hong Kong). 
Still Asian countries feel much more like „grass roots sports nations“ when you just look at the (healthiness of) population. I think being the number one in sports is very important for the American identity (especially when they have no war to cheer for), so it would be interesting to see what happens if China takes that away from them for good. We saw what happened when the Soviet Union did it. „Bread and circuses“ has been a very effective approach to keep the population sedated/distracted for at least 2000 years.

I get your point. I think i clearly mentioned that we all know Chinese sins, problems etc. But it is not a reason to wipe out their great history or to idealize USA. And i clearly mentioned that Chinese team makes better impression here. If we look at martial arts conclusion can be different. I just mentioned that first time i have seen some promising signs. Only this. 

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

44 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

By the way if it stays 40-40 with golds (which is probably the case) what would have made the difference?

Maybe for

China: Imane Khalif box final (could they somehow challenge that?)

US: err, that high jump 

Shi Zhiyong bottled his C&J after a comfortable snatch lead and also Su Weide's falls in the team all-around cost China.

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Looks like it. :NED beat them at their own game (track cycling and rowing)

Oh, we're pretty happy with the third biggest medal haul after the US and China. It's also the fourth consecutive Games we've won more than 60 medals.

2012 – 65

2016 – 67

2020 – 64

2024 – 65

High point from China perspective is not their sweep in TT or Diving but it is their wins in Tennis, gains in Boxing and Hockey that is really impressive.

Rowing is the biggest disappointment alongwith Artistic Gymnastics (W). Judo, Wrestling and Athletics subpar.

54 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

They should completely destroy their economy, like southern European countries, and then beg other European nations for billions of euros, so that they can invest in sports and keep the population sedated.

Instead of looking to the south of Europe, maybe they should follow the example of Norway and Sweden?

Ireland had their best ever Olympic Games in Paris finishing in 19th place on the final medals table with 4 golds and 3 bronze medals.

It surpassed all of my expectations and Paris will have a very special place in my heart with lots of beautiful memories. I got to experience the Olympics in person for the first time in my life and it did not disappoint, I loved every minute of it and the atmosphere was wonderful.

Spoiler

Daniel Wiffen - Men's 800m Freestyle Swimming Gold Medal

http://www.sportni.net/wp-content/themes/sportni/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://www.sportni.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/Daniel-Wiffen.jpg&w=620&a=c

BB1qUADI.img?w=768&h=511&m=6&x=413&y=168

f470618e7d524c7e93337ad75a05d1d7

Paul O'Donovan and Fintan McCarthy - Men's Lightweight Double Sculls Rowing Gold Medal

fintan-and-paul-show-their-class-to-clos

6c26a458-754b-4e19-8d40-a3dcbe62d24f.jpg

Rhys McClenaghan - Men's Pommel Horse Gold Medal

P4RTWFXZAJICLHU7RTCD447XCQ.jpg?auth=9bb3

Sports2903890.jpg

Kellie Harrington - Women's -60kg Boxing Gold Medal

1a52d3ab-d381-4968-8196-30ff92bf68fe.jpg

cac76371-254b-41cc-a035-289cb4dcc931.jpg

ac9d2af6-b61f-4b0c-a186-539551b57804.jpg

Edited by OlympicIRL