website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Count

13 minutes ago, copravolley said:

However, this was more the merit of the USSR and its training system.

Yes. That was totally different world of sport with GBR at the 36 place with 1 gold, which looks unbelivable from the 21st century.

But we mostly kept that level in total number of medals until the start of the russian agression and annexions in 2014.

Our normal number of medals was 19-23 (with the only exception for Rio).

But of course the share of gold medals declined dramatically

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, avlar said:

Yes. That was totally different world of sport with GBR at the 36 place with 1 gold, which looks unbelivable from the 21st century.

But we mostly kept that level in total number of medals until the start of the russian agression and annexions in 2014.

Our normal number of medals was 19-23 (with the only exception for Rio).

But of course the share of gold medals declined dramatically

I also think that this was our best time in both summer and winter sports + team sports. And it was not a coincidence, because a few years ago I saw calculations that in 1996 we spent more on professional sports in our country than we do now. Secondly, we had more people aged 18 up to 30-32. Over these 30 years, Italian society has aged a lot and the only solution is probably to reach out to migrants more widely, like France, the Netherlands, or GBR. 

Personally, I prefer the balance we had in Atlanta: 36 medals, including 13 gold, than what we had in Tokyo 2021: 40 medals, including 10 gold.

Edited by copravolley

57 minutes ago, rybak said:

From those "big" countries in sport :NED:NZL:UKR doesn't have any medal yet after two days. I did miss someone?

Yes, we have 2 days without medals. But it was rather expected. Of course, we had good chances in women epee. Bezhura nad +5 against Mallo-Breton and Kharkova nad +3 against her. 

But my xM (like xG in soccer) for the days 1 and 2 were very low (realistic/optimistic)

Day1: 0xM / 0xM

Day2: 0,57xM / 0.86xM 

Will see if day 3 will be better

Day3: 2,36xM / 3.93xM 

9 minutes ago, copravolley said:

I also think that this was our best time in both summer and winter sports + team sports. And it was not a coincidence, because a few years ago I saw calculations that in 1996 we spent more on professional sports in our country than we do now. Secondly, we had more people aged 18 up to 30-32. Over these 30 years, Italian society has aged a lot and the only solution is probably to reach out to migrants more widely, like France, the Netherlands, or GBR. 

Personally, I prefer the balance we had in Atlanta: 36 medals, including 13 gold, than what we had in Tokyo 2021: 40 medals, including 10 gold.

You know, it may look differently from the outside. We would say that Italy is doing very well at the nowadays olympics.

But I have one more obvious observation. The Games are much harder for not top sport-powers like the USA, China when they are hosted not but these tops but by some other economically strong states. 

11 minutes ago, avlar said:

You know, it may look differently from the outside. We would say that Italy is doing very well at the nowadays olympics.

But I have one more obvious observation. The Games are much harder for not top sport-powers like the USA, China when they are hosted not but these tops but by some other economically strong states. 

Today in boxing we were cheated in favor of Uzbekistan, which is a powerhouse and has the judges in its grasp. According to bookmakers they can win all the gold here. In judo there were also controversies and so we lose 1 gold here, bronze there etc. and not at all to the USA or China, but to Uzbekistan and Kosovo. We have a member in the IOC, and we are weak and they are cheating us. On the other hand, boxing should be thrown out of the games, because it is a farce. The vote-counting machines in Beijing 2008 were probably better.

Daily streks update :cheer: Sadly, Hungary lost a 7 days streak losing the bronze medal match in fencing.

1. :CHN China — 96 days
  2. :JPN Japan — 24 days
  3. :ITA Italy — 22 days
  4. :USA United States — 17 days
  5. :GBR Great Britain — 17 days
  6. :CAN Canada — 7 days 
  7. :FRA France — 4 days 

New Streaks Opened in Paris

1. :AUS Australia — 2 days
  2. :KAZ Kazakistan — 2 days
  3. :KOR Korea — 2 days
  4. :SWE Sweden — 2 days
  5. :BRA Brazil — 1 day 
  6. :EGY Egypt — 1 day
  7. :IND India — 1 day
  8. :KOS Kosovo — 1 day
  9. :MDA Moldova — 1 day
  10. :MEX Mexico — 1 day
  11. :POL Poland — 1 day

Broken Streaks (only +1 days)

1. :NED Netherlands — 12 days
  2. :HUN Hungary — 7 days
  3. :UKR Ukraine — 6 days
  4. :BEL Belgium — 3 days
  5. :KEN Kenya — 3 days
  6. :CUB Cuba — 3 days
  7. :BUL Bulgaria — 2 days
  8. :NOR Norway — 2 days
  9. :BRA Brazil — 2 days
  10. :HKG Hong Kong — 2 days

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Daily streks update :cheer: Sadly, Hungary lost a 7 days streak losing the bronze medal match in fencing.

1. :CHN China — 96 days
  2. :JPN Japan — 24 days
  3. :ITA Italy — 22 days
  4. :USA United States — 17 days
  5. :GBR Great Britain — 17 days
  6. :CAN Canada — 7 days 
  7. :FRA France — 4 days 

New Streaks Opened in Paris

1. :AUS Australia — 2 days
  2. :KAZ Kazakistan — 2 days
  3. :KOR Korea — 2 days
  4. :SWE Sweden — 2 days
  5. :BRA Brazil — 1 day 
  6. :EGY Egypt — 1 day
  7. :IND India — 1 day
  8. :KOS Kosovo — 1 day
  9. :MDA Moldova — 1 day
  10. :MEX Mexico — 1 day
  11. :POL Poland — 1 day

Broken Streaks (only +1 days)

1. :NED Netherlands — 12 days
  2. :HUN Hungary — 7 days
  3. :UKR Ukraine — 6 days
  4. :BEL Belgium — 3 days
  5. :KEN Kenya — 3 days
  6. :CUB Cuba — 3 days
  7. :BUL Bulgaria — 2 days
  8. :NOR Norway — 2 days
  9. :BRA Brazil — 2 days
  10. :HKG Hong Kong — 2 days

Thank you for tracking it, you couldn't do with golds by any chance ?

Edited by De_Gambassi

10 hours ago, rybak said:

From those "big" countries in sport :NED:NZL:UKR doesn't have any medal yet after two days. I did miss someone?

The medal table feels empty without us, doesn't it:p

And no :NED chances at all today and only a chance in judo tomorrow. Decent chance we don't enter the medal table until wednesday.