website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day -2/-1/0 (July 25-27)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NearPup said:

What is likely to happen, rightly or wrongly, is that quite a few people are going to get fired.

Probably, but given that it’s been happening for a while I’m starting to think it’s not the coaching teams fault (or Bev’s) and they’re just doing what Canada Soccer tells them to do. Can’t be that much of a coincidence that keep hiring the same type of people…

Edit: Nope I was wrong. 

Edited by Josh

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Probably, but given that it’s been happening for a while I’m starting to think it’s not the coaching teams fault (or Bev’s) and they’re just doing what Canada Soccer tells them to do. Can’t be that much of a coincidence that keep hiring the same type of people…

The whole thing just screams of Herdman. Not just doing it, but formalizing and systematizing it. And he was the architect of the women's program for close to a decade then spent several years doing the same on with the men. Priestman is one of his alcolytes, as are most of the senior people with both national teams and technical staff. 

And they all knew it was wrong and kept on doing it even after he left. 

The low level people might be able to get away with saying their boss made them do it, but there are layers of senior people who knew, knew it was wrong, and kept on doing it, and they all need to go

21 minutes ago, JockCartier said:

The whole thing just screams of Herdman. Not just doing it, but formalizing and systematizing it. And he was the architect of the women's program for close to a decade then spent several years doing the same on with the men. Priestman is one of his alcolytes, as are most of the senior people with both national teams and technical staff. 

And they all knew it was wrong and kept on doing it even after he left. 

The low level people might be able to get away with saying their boss made them do it, but there are layers of senior people who knew, knew it was wrong, and kept on doing it, and they all need to go

Which begs the question did any of the players know?

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Which begs the question did any of the players know?

Not really their prerogative, but maybe the investigations will answer that

I'm certainly curious about Christine Sinclair's thoughts are about all this

Posted (edited)

This is embarrassing and stupid. Such a taint on what was a proud legacy. I just hope Sinclair escapes clean. 

This also puts a damper on Canada's success at the recent Copa Americana. It's all just a lie now. 

Edited by orangeman

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

They must have known. The spying would have been ineffective if they weren't sharing the results with the players.

That’s not always the case. Coaches and assistant staff can share the information a way to make it seem like they didn’t cheat in any way.

Going off topic a bit, but a lot of athletes seem to be complaining about the food and bedding situations in Paris. Not a good look for the Olympics, I’ve seen athletes talking about how they need the best possible sleep for optimal performance (which won’t happen with the cardboard mattresses), and also there’s concerns about the quantity and quality of the food. 

Even with the pandemic, I might actually prefer Tokyo 2020 so far… this has been a disaster start to the games. First the Seine, then the security invasion during Argentina-Morocco, then the drone investigation, and now this. 

Edited by Josh