website statistics

How many medals do you expect from your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stratocumulus said:

It will be difficult Olympics for :POL Poland. In the 21st century we struggle to get a double-digit number of medals. Until now it worked every single time. In Paris it might not be that optimistic.

Realistically it will be something between 8 and 11, 2-3 gold. Four should be in for sure (no screenshots please!;). From the section "probable" I hope for 3 out of 7. The section "maybe" should deliver 1 medal out of 8 opportunities. The rest is chance.

I wish I would be proved sooo wrong, but the past Games have taught me to keep the expectations low. Still I take my vacation for the Olympics to watch undisturbed;) 

For those who want to know the detail:

Absolutely Must:

Rowing - M4X - bronze
Sport Climbing - Speed - A. Mirosław - gold
Tennis - W ind - I. Świątek - gold
Volleyball - Team Men - something

Probable

K2 W - silver
K4 W - bronze
Fencing - Team Epee - bronze
Judo -63kg W - Angelika Szymanska - silver
Sailing - IQFoil M - Paweł Tarnowski - gold
Sport Climbing - Speed - N. Kałucka - bronze
Athletics - Hammer Throw M - W. Nowicki - silver

Maybe

Canoe Slalom - Klaudia Zwolinska K1 - bronze
Shooting - someone? - bronze
Sailing - someone? - bronze
Swimming - someone? - bronze
Tennis - Mixed Doubles - bronze
Volleyball - Team women - bronze
Wrestling - Z. Baranowski - bronze
Athletics - 400W - N. Kaczmarek - bronze

With looooooooooads of luck:

Beach Volleyball - Bryl/Łosiak
Basketball 3x3 - Men's Team
Boxing - someone
Wrestling - some woman
Athletics - 100m hurdles - Pia Skrzyszowska
Athletics - 4x400X
Athletics - 4x400W

Road Cycling - W Road Race - K. Niewiadoma

Track Cycling - Mateusz Rudyk - Ind Sprint - bronze

Will Swiatek play women's doubles with Magda Linette?

Edited by Makedonas

3 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There is every chance of GBR knocking off 8-10 gold medals in cycling alone if everything fell right in MTB, Women's sprint, Women's endurance, men's endurance, time trials, bmx free men, bmx racing women....or coming away with just 1 or 2 (I can't see no golds for Archibald or Fincucane)

They could literally win every Equestrian gold, even team dressage, if both Fry and Dujardin absolutely smoke....or none at all

They could beat their Tokyo gold tally in the pool, especially if Peaty peaks well - or win none (though I think at least 1 is very very likely in m4x2 free)

They could knock out 2, even three golds in Athletics if every god smiled. Or none (I predict, sadly, none, but a good general medal haul)

Two in artistic gymnastics (M PH and M VT). Or none (both, to me, are 50/50). Three in Triathlon...or none.

It's that sort of feeling - lots of possibles, in all sorts of nooks and crannies, but fewer 'nailed on' than recently the case.

Ireland never has nailed on - except Katie Taylor first time around - but there are more genuine gold chances than I can ever remember between rowing, gymnastics, athletics, swimming, boxing. We may get none, we're likely to get none. Or we could win 5!

gotta love sport.

My feeling is a bit more positive on GB.

Rowing has really turned a corner and there are a few very strong boats that’ll be very tough to beat (LW2, women’s 4, men’s pair, men’s 8 and women’s quad at the top end). I think 4-6 golds is a fair estimate as things stand.

the track cycling team is formidable as mentioned above. Both pursuit squads look like they can return to the top of the mountain with Tarling brought in; Finucane looks like the quickest female sprinter and could be in line for the sprint triple. Add in Archibald, Barker & Evans, plus Hayter, Vernon and there are 9 good gold medal shouts. GB will be optimistic of delivering on many of those. I have Tarling winning the ITT and beyond that Pidcock to win the mountain bike. BMX would appear to be less fruitful this time but Beth should still have a punchers chance at retaining if getting back fit post injury. 
Swimming will be tough but there are a few opps to get a few golds, less clear cut chances though. Could be anything from 0-4 at the high end (peaty, richards/ Scott, 4x2 free M, 4x1 free M, Ben Proud all have leading chances)

Athletics - harder but there are a few gold medal chances: caudery hodgkinson Kerr Hughes (100) MHS but relays should bring a few medals too.

Sailing and diving look set to bring a fair number of medals in (although I doubt many golds due to dominance of China in the diving).

Equestrian looks set to be very good for GB given the strength across all 3 disciplines. Charlotte’s development with ImHoTep is particularly significant for the dressage hopes.

Gymnastics - lots of chances but hard to predict a gold medal outside of Jake on vault or Max on pommel. Bryony on trampoline may be a lesser predicted gold too.

There should be a few chip ins from canoe slalom/ modern pentathlon (Joe c)/ taekwondo/ triathlon (potter and yee will start as favs, the team may struggle to beat France though!). A shock gold in the archery (penny healey) or shooting is not outside the realms of possibility either.

The sport that looks like taking a backward step is clearly boxing. But lots for GB fans to be excited about for Paris 2024.  A rough estimation of 25 golds and 60 medals.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I would say something around 37-43 medals, with 6-11 golds.

that would be an epic fail...:facepalm:

seriously, less than 45 medals and 12 of them being gold would be so, so disappointing and frustrating :cry:

but the real target should be even higher, record breaking at least

Edited by phelps

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

that would be an epic fail...:facepalm:

seriously, less than 45 medals and 12 of them being gold would be so, so disappointing and frustrating :cry:

but the real target should be even higher, record breaking at least

I admit that it is usually a bit pessimistic and superstitious. But I have a hard time imagining +12 gold, so many things should work well. We have the cards to do it, but it is unlikely that we will be able to put them all on the table.

11 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Ireland never has nailed on - except Katie Taylor first time around - but there are more genuine gold chances than I can ever remember between rowing, gymnastics, athletics, swimming, boxing. We may get none, we're likely to get none. Or we could win 5!

gotta love sport.

The LW double in rowing were nailed on in Tokyo. The first and only time I’ve been confident of an Irish gold medal

This year as you say we have more medal chances than ever before but even the LW double can’t be seen as favourites for gold now 

Athletics 

Chances for Rhasidat, Mageean and the relays. One medal would be huge

Swimming

Chances for Wiffen in 800 and 1500 free. Again, one would be great and he could even snatch gold if he continues to develop 

Gymnastics

Rhys is a medal favourite but pommel is so technical that one error could see him leave without a medal again. GB, Kazakhstan, Japan and more think they have gold contenders 

Rowing

LW double should medal. Gold is achievable. Other crews aren’t showing as well this year but we’ve won medals at the last few world champs so they’re contenders in Paris in at least 4 other events

Boxing

Luck plays a huge part but our women will be disappointed if they don’t bring back 2 medals between them. Harrington could win gold but I don’t think she will 

Cycling

Road race is a lottery but Ben Healy could win a medal. Lara Gillespie is a top 6 cyclist in the omnium and that can produce stories medalists 

Equestrian

Our show jumpers are all world class and could all medal. The team could win gold or could be eliminated on day one. The eventing team is always likely to finish top 5 and a surprise medalist could happen with no discard scores this year 

Rugby

The men have a decent chance. They’re always top 5. Bounce of a ball can sometimes decide games. Women would need everything to go right 

6 is our record (one added after the event) and I’m hopeful we’ll match that. 

11 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Will Swiatek play women's doubles with Magda Linette?

Though it has not been officially confirmed (or rejected), I do not think so. Świątek said, she would not manage three events and most probably she is going to decline the women's doubles:

https://www.meczyki.pl/newsy/tenis/swiatek-i-linette-zagraja-w-deblu-na-igrzyskach-olimpijskich-liderka-rankingu-wta-wyslala-wazny-sygnal/227614