website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

I have no problem with the Mayer decision. I have a big problem with the other decision. I'm just viewing them as separate issues.

If the result of Mayer not going would be that the hept field would be the full 24, I would support that. But we both know that won't be the case.

The point is they are not following the rules with Mayer. Is that ok because he’s a Frenchmen?

France fucked up and then they are awarded for it. Because it’s France. There’s no reason for Mayer to be in ECH. 

5 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

If Mayer manages to qualify, someone else will not. It he wins a medal, someone else will not. He may push someone down a place in the standings, who could have used the extra points that the higher position would be bring to strengthen his world ranking. So not a victimless crime.

Also, why limit it to Rome and why not add him to the Olympic lineup as well.

I mean, if I'm being honest, I'll be amazed if he even finishes the first day.

If Mayer were to perform well enough here to get a place in Paris/medal, I've no problem with it. It would show that he is still good enough to be at the Olympics. Getting any athlete to the end of any combined events is a miracle in itself. It's the one event where I just support all the athletes who do it, no matter whether they are from my country or others. I'm hoping Nafi can do something similar in the hept.

I accept that others will have a different view and I respect that.

6 minutes ago, Belle said:

The point is they are not following the rules with Mayer. Is that ok because he’s a Frenchmen?

France fucked up and then they are awarded for it. Because it’s France. There’s no reason for Mayer to be in ECH. 

I mean, they haven't rewarded France for fucking up with the hept, nor for not getting Habz entered (who is probably a much better medal prospect than Mayer right now).

So I don't think that they are just somehow pro-France. They are pro-Mayer.

He may then be good enough, but takes a place from someone else, because they broke the rules for him.

it reminds me of how the Belgian 3x3 team won their place in the qualifying tournament for Tokyo by falsifying records, scoring points for the ranking from matches that had never taken place.

Their 4th place in Tokyo shows they were obviously good enough to be there, but they should never have qualified and took the place of another team that should have. Mayer’s case is not that bad, but the result could be the same.

8 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

I find it hard to separate the two issues. Break the rules here, but refuse to do so there. Either follow the rules, or don’t bother having any.

I mean, technically, they changed the rules to allow Mayer in. They amended the competition regulations on 10th May specifically to allow this.

So in the most technical of senses, they haven't broken any rules. They've just shown that the rules aren't really worth much...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean, technically, they changed the rules to allow Mayer in. They amended the competition regulations on 10th May specifically to allow this.

So in the most technical of senses, they haven't broken any rules. They've just shown that the rules aren't really worth much...

Except for when it’s not favor a big country. Suddenly the rules means everything when we are talking about ladies from Sweden and Austria. :mad:

Edited by Belle

2 minutes ago, Belle said:

Except for when it’s not favor a big country. Suddenly the rules means everything when we are talking about ladies from Sweden and Austria. :mad:

Again, if they are *just* doing it to favour the big country, why have Habz and Bedard not been allowed in then?

13 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

He may then be good enough, but takes a place from someone else, because they broke the rules for him.

it reminds me of how the Belgian 3x3 team won their place in the qualifying tournament for Tokyo by falsifying records, scoring points for the ranking from matches that had never taken place.

Their 4th place in Tokyo shows they were obviously good enough to be there, but they should never have qualified and took the place of another team that should have. Mayer’s case is not that bad, but the result could be the same.

I think there's a difference between one team lying and a governing body amending its rules at short notice that might provide a benefit to certain people.

The latter is...distasteful. The former is cheating.

14 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

You are right, although I find this even worse. To change rules at the last minute to accommodate one person.