website statistics

Surfing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

I've been watching for a bit, but how does one score points? Most of the time I just see them go through the barrell of the wave and if they stay on their board, they get points. Don't they do tricks and stuff? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, Josh said:

Men’s Quarterfinals

:PER Correa v. :JPN Inaba

:FRA Vaast v. :FRA Duru

:BRA Medina v. :BRA Chianca

:AUS Ewing v. :AUS Robinson

Bora Medina, chegou a sua hora de ganhar ouro! :cheer::wub:

May I cheer for Chianca then? :d 

When I was in Brazil (close to the Medina museum btw) I was told by Brazilians that Gabriel Medina comes across as the number 1 fan of Gabriel Medina....haven't seen much of him myself, so don't know :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I've been watching for a bit, but how does one score points? Most of the time I just see them go through the barrell of the wave and if they stay on their board, they get points. Don't they do tricks and stuff? :p 

They get marks for every technical segment they do. Stabillity, tricks, duration they stay on boards. Marking is same as in gymnastics, skateboarding, artistic impression is main factor..

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

When it's a bareling wave like here: how well you manage to get hidden into the barrel, how big of a drop into the barel you do, and how cleanly you come out.

A quirk of surfing is that different beaks and different wave conditions get judged differently.

Basically the judges are looking for something like this: big drop, surfer completly dissapears, surfer comes out cleanly and in control.

Edited by NearPup

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

When it's a bareling wave like here: how well you manage to get hidden into the barrel, how big of a drop into the barel you do, and how cleanly you come out.

A quirk of surfing is that different beaks and different wave conditions get judged differently.

Basically the judges are looking for something like this: big drop, surfer completly dissapears, surfer comes out cleanly and in control.

Thanks! I thought it'd involve all kinds of tricks and such as well, my bad :p 

Surf - SURFING TENDENCIES FOR 30/07/2024 – RED: The competition is OFF tomorrow 30/07/2024 7:00am GMT-10 with a color code of RED. Technical delegates decision on color code tendencies for the next session is expected on 30/07/2024 at 17:45 GMT-10

At this point, since it is past 6 p.m. and there has not been (or at least I do not see) an official communication on the flag change, I would say that the races are probably postponed until tonight.