website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Apart from a rather poor Australia v USA, the three first QF were giving high standards of play. Yes there are lots of scores but I feel the "give the ball to the speedster and score" is far from being true. Just look at how the South African defended on their line, preventing a near certain NZ try. When stakes are high, defense tends to dominate offense. 

5 hours ago, stratocumulus said:

Well, I think that would be a new dimension to deal with - aka "not a bug but a feature". Maybe you would decide then to play passively in the initial phases and use the remainder of your power to strike back against your exhausted opponent in the final minutes?

I believe 10 instead of 7 minutes would be a decent change to start with. Now it seems a little like a "demo version" of the game (which I know it is to some extent :D). And it looks strange if you have 3mins of added time when you actually should play 7, so it is 40% more, equivalent to some 20min additional time in football. Would we see that in a football game, we would all go crazy, wouldn't we?;)

In a team sport where you have combined effort of a number of people it feels too trivial when 4 years of work come down to a performance as short as 2x7min (I think of NZ now especially). There could be more epic in it and there is definitely potential for it :) 

The added time at the end is a skill though. Ireland earned it against Fiji because they pulled off difficult moves something like 10 times in a row.