website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Qualifier 2024

Totallympics

no surprise in 86kg either

Naifonov winning the quota was a 100% sure thing, I almost fell sleep during the match :d

but Mykhailov could do better against Nurmagomedov. but his wrong tactical plan cost him the quota. he grabbed the leg so many times in the last minute but it was too late.

So ... Azerbaijan didn't win a single quota on Friday and Saturday but today was different, 4 of 4 so far and I think they will win the 5th too. which means they will have a full team in Paris, (97kg quota was already in the bag)

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No stopping the :AIN :AZE train today. Only Georgia has qualified so far and that's because they weren't on their half of the bracket.

Maybe Bulgaria could join...

3 hours ago, avlar said:

Freestyle

57 kg :MKD vs :AZE + :BUL vs :AIN

65 kg :MDA vs :GEO + :AZE vs :ALB

74 kg :AZE vs :ITA + :AIN vs :SVK

86 kg :GEO vs :AIN + :UKR vs :AZE

97 kg :AIN vs :UKR + :POL vs :AIN

125 kg :POL vs :AIN + :BUL vs :AZE

We were close to 4 men in SF. But Arushanian was not accurate enough at the very end, and Hotsianivski looked too tired.

With these opponents I still unsure if we get can get the first freestyle quota for Paris today. But in genral our wrestlers looked not so bad.

So the quotas in Freestyle are

57 kg :AZE + :AIN

65 kg :GEO + :AZE (what a chance for quaota lost by our Arushanyan in the QF!!)

74 kg :AZE + :AIN (robbery of the day in the first SF)

86 kg :AIN + :AZE

97 kg :AIN + :AIN

125 kg :AIN + :AZE

-------------------------------------

Important notes on AINs:

1. Sadulaev (FS,97) - we knew that he participated pro-war rally, but according to the latest decision bt UWW it turned out that he is active memeber of Dynamo. This club name is popular around the world, but in russia it means that he is conracted with Rosgvardija (Rus(sian) Guard). It is an internal military force of russian federation. Rosgvardija takes part in the war against Ukraine, but also it is responsible for illegal arrests, tortures, briberies, propagana among the children the occupied territories of Ukraine. Rosgvaria is "famous" for shooting civilan autos in Hostomel and e t.c.

Sadulaev decided to stay in Rosgvardija, so as for me it is the finish of his international career.

2. Uguev (FS, 57), Sidakov (74 kg) - these quotas will be returned with high propability since both took part in the same rally as Sadulaev. The only question: when? If it happens before the final qualification russian will be able to send replacements and it will make the tounament harder. Otherwise redistribution will happen.

3. Semenov (GR, 130 kg) - 50/50 that he will lost the quota. He was suspended by UWW and then reinstated. But the reinstatement could not work for the IOC, since he supported war at the social networks.

4. Naifonov (86, FS) - discussion to follow. He had "a training camp" at the ouccpied territories of Ukraine. It is interesting that a lot of russian wreslters and weightlefters have "training camps" there. I wonder how anti-doping services can control them there?

5. All 4 women quotas are under investigation. The worst chances to go to Paris has Veleva (68, WW) - as a member of the Central Sport Club of Army. The cases of Sokolova (50, WW), Malysheva (53, WW) and Kasabieva (62, WW) are also on the IOC`s table. 

P.S. We are not so happy to spend our time on these investigations and calculations, but that was not our idea - all the questions should be addressed to the IOC and UWW.

no more surprises, the rest of the afternoon went as expected. looking back at my predictions, I was mostly wrong in Greco, only got 5 out of 12 correctly but that was expected,

in freestyle it could be 10 out of 12. but that Chamizo match happened, so 9 of 12. I only missed one in 65kg and 97kg. Baitsaev was in terrible shape and I think my 65kg prediction wasn't that bad.

it's not a good news that only 4 countries won all the quotas ! (and Europe was supposed to be more competitive) two teams are already completed. :RUS Russia and :AZE Azerbaijan. they both won all 6 MFS quotas. beside that only USA and Japan in women's freestyle have a full team now. (no full team in Greco yet)

Belarus also had a great day, winning 4 quotas :yikes:they could even win the 65kg too, but 86kg was too weak to be considered.  beside that only Georgia has 3 and the rest of Europe have 2 or less.

Turkey lost badly today but I think they will be prepared for the last event at home

Edited by MHSN

speaking of Chamizo, that was one of his best matches at 74kg. he didn't wrestle a good match like this for a while. I mean he was down 6-0 ( to me that was 4pts but they gave 4+2) I was 100% sure the match is over but he wrestled his heart out and if the officiating was normal he could be leading by 3-4 pts before the last action (where he again got robbed) 

Chamizo in morning session was terrible but from what I saw in the evening I think he will win the quota eventually. he is quite a popular wrestler (because of his unique style) and I'm sure most (if not all) of wrestling fans want to see him in Paris.

but this is a very competitive weight, lots of solid wrestlers are left. Salkazanov, Demirtas, Kirov also had a good tournament today. whoever GEO sends, Kuramagomedov, Shapiev, that Russian guy of Romania was good too

and there will be some good Asian wrestlers left too. at least 2 or 3.

beside that, Albania and Tajikistan are purchasing some good Russian wrestlers (Veliev and Rassadin) I think they are still doing the paperwork but that can be finished anytime, Uzbekistan also hired a very high level Russian in Zhamalov.