website statistics

GB Athletics

It says a lot that a disappointing championships still sees us 3rd on the medal table! I fully expect that in Birmingham we'll be back on top.

That time for the women's relay would have beaten the NRs of all bar USA, Jamaica, East Germany, Russia, us, Germany, France and Cote d'Ivore. Shows how impressive they were, even without Lansiquot.

Very worrying news about Jess Warner-Judd - you might remember she was heading for a top 10 place in the Women's 10000m on Tuesday with about 2-3 laps to go but DNF.  Well, there was a reason.

Jessica Warner-Judd diagnosed with focal epilepsy after suffering a seizure at European Athletics Championships - BBC Sport

Edited by Grassmarket

To e fair it would be a hell of a lot more worrying if we didn't find out why

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

With two weeks left in the selection window, who else do you think has a realistic shot of achieving the qualifying time/distance? Of those who haven't yet made it, I'm keeping a particularly close eye on:

Alastair Chalmers (400mH)

Jake Norris (Hammer)

Hannah Nuttall (5000m)

Jade Lally (Discus)

Would definitely be good to get some more Field athletes into the team!

I don't see Lally getting the distance unless she gets another competition in Ramona.

Kenneth Ikeji in the hammer is in roughly the same situation as Norris - both about 30cm short. Bekah Walton in the javelin needs to find about 1.5m. She's been consistently improving over the last couple of years, so it's not outside the range of possible.

We've got a couple of promising female TJers and LJers but I think the Q is likely to be beyond them this year.

Nicole Yeargin (400m) ran 51.32 earlier today, so she's not too far away. Seamus Derbyshire (400m H) ran a flat PB today but would need a substantial hurdles PB to challenge that mark.

Holly Bradshaw (PV), Eugene Amo-Dadzie (100m) are a couple of other older athletes looking for the standard.

As an aside that sort of time bodes well for Yeargin being one of the 4 chosen in the relay final. Also she might well be a contender to run in the mixed relay (at least heat) if she doesn’t make the individual.

I’m hoping we get a couple more field athletes there, it’s sad to see so little GB representation. The two boys in the hammer are banging on the door, and it would be great to see someone break through in the javelin again.

33 minutes ago, RussB said:

As an aside that sort of time bodes well for Yeargin being one of the 4 chosen in the relay final. Also she might well be a contender to run in the mixed relay (at least heat) if she doesn’t make the individual.

I’m hoping we get a couple more field athletes there, it’s sad to see so little GB representation. The two boys in the hammer are banging on the door, and it would be great to see someone break through in the javelin again.

We really need a grassroots night of 10k m PBs style event for throws, jumps and multievents to create some momentuum and opportunity in these events

Just now, mpjmcevoy said:

We really need a grassroots night of 10k m PBs style event for throws, jumps and multievents to create some momentuum and opportunity in these events

Certainly does feel like it needs something fresh at the junior / grassroots level. Lessons must be able to be learnt from the middle distance evolution in the UK that has made such a strength out of 800-1500m and beyond up to 10k.

Perhaps we were spoilt by the era of Backley / Edwards / Idowu. Since then it’s been Sophie Hitchon in and HB in the PV who have made a dent at the highest level in the field events. All hopes on Molly in Paris!

As long as we have the "increased standards" swimming-style model, I don't think it matters much what else we do.

That policy is absolutely crippling GBR participation at worlds and Olympics in field events. And without the visability of those athletes, it's tough to see where the potential stars of the future are going to come from.