website statistics

GB Athletics

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Molly is a huge talent and a genuine medal threat in Paris.

But 5m has only been done 12 times in history and 8 of those were Isinbayeva. She's not quite at that level yet.

Anything over 4.90 is very likely to get her on the podium in Paris.

I know it's a stretch and probably won't happen but it is a possibility, which is amazing. Next year is probably more realistic. 

I expect her to clear 4.90 this summer if she stays fit. As for the gold,  the pressure of the Olympics, especially if she goes in as world leader, is a bit of an unknown but the WI gold helps, and from what I've read, been told and seen in competition, she is a strong character so I'm optimistic. 

Edited by Rich

Posted (edited)

Surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet but the performance of the weekend (so far) from a GB runner has come over in the sunny climes of....Belfast.

At the Belfast Irish Milers Meet, Phoebe Gill ran the 800m in 1:57.86.

Phoebe only turned 17 last month.

Assuming the clock etc are accurate, it's hard to overstate how amazing that performance is. To put it in context, it's the second fastest U18 ever, behind only a very suspect Chinese athlete from the 90s. It's the second fastest European U20, behind only Keely. And Phoebe has several years more eligibility in that category. It's quicker than Mary Moraa won the Doha DL yesterday.

Obviously, goes without saying that it is an Olympic Q time.

Phoebe has been on the radar for potentially being one of the future stars of GB athletics for a while, but I don't think anyone expected her to achieve a time like this quite so quickly. I was hoping that she could drop below 2m this year. That would have been a perfectly good improvement!

Race is at the 4h 06m mark:

-

Astonishing.

Edited by Epic Failure

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet but the performance of the weekend (so far) from a GB runner has come over in the sunny climes of....Belfast.

Assuming the clock etc are accurate, it's hard to overstate how amazing that performance is. To put it in context, it's the second fastest U18 ever, behind only a very suspect Chinese athlete from the 90s. It's the second fastest European U20, behind only Keely. And Phoebe has several years more eligibility in that category. It's quicker than Mary Moraa won the Doha DL yesterday.

Phoebe has been on the radar for potentially being one of the future stars of GB athletics for a while, but I don't think anyone expected her to achieve a time like this quite so quickly. I was hoping that she could drop below 2m this year. That would have been a perfectly good improvement!

-

Astonishing.

Very impressive and certainly one for the future, potentially even Paris, who knows.

Here's an AW article : https://athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/phoebe-gill-sets-stunning-european-u18-800m-record-1039985776/

Edited by TeamGB

8 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Very impressive and certainly one for the future, potentially even Paris, who knows.

Here's an AW article : https://athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/phoebe-gill-sets-stunning-european-u18-800m-record-1039985776/

Ran most of it alone too. Extraordinary.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

-

Astonishing.

“Holy goodnight!”  Once more an Irish commentary team rises to the occaision!  :rofl:

Edited by Grassmarket

44 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

-

Astonishing.

And the 2nd fastest time in the world this year suitably run at the Mary Peters stadium.

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

And yet she could still end up missing out on a place in the Olympic team given the strength we have in the event. 

For sure. She's used to running her own race and her opponents won't want that in the UK champs (if she runs!)  But, if she does run, I hope she keeps it simple and just puts her foot down like today and sees what happens.

Does the Paris selection doc require Keely to run? I assume so.  If she runs it hard that would be great for Phoebe.  It will be a hell of a race!