website statistics

GB Athletics

7 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

I suspect it is only going to get stricter as well. I can see for 2025 the time or distance needed to make the top 8 in either Budapest or Paris being mandatory for being selected. 

Comment from a Canadian racewalker

In an ironic twist, one of the athletes selected by UK Athletes for a ranking spot, Pat Dever in the 10,000m has not made it in that event, falling below the cutoff.

Happily, Dever is safely in the 5000m (I wish he'd got in the 10,000!)

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

It shows the level of non trust at the moment. 

Ah guy learmonth another athlete who failed everytime he did get selected, with that chip on his shoulder from when he didnt get picked to fail at the indoors earlier this year.

When influential athletes start complaining then this movement will gain traction, as it is the only ones complaining are the ones who never perform when they have been given the chance. Looking at you jade lally 

2 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

Ah guy learmonth another athlete who failed everytime he did get selected, with that chip on his shoulder from when he didnt get picked to fail at the indoors earlier this year.

When influential athletes start complaining then this movement will gain traction, as it is the only ones complaining are the ones who never perform when they have been given the chance. Looking at you jade lally 

To be fair to Learmouth, he wanted the opportunity to run in front of a home crowd - there's not that many opportunities for major sporting events to be held in Scotland after all. Sure he may not have exactly set the track alight but there was every chance that he could have/would have put in a decent performance.

I agree with you on your second point - nothing is going to change whilst the recognisable names of the sport speak out. That should have started earlier this year with the talking heads on the BBC - but given Denise Lewis' view of Learmouth was "he just wasn't good enough to be selected" and Ennis-Hill doesn't want to say anything that could be viewed as controversial, that's not likely to happen. I'll be interested to see if it is brought up again in Paris and whether Michael Johnson has a more forthright opinion on it (but I kind of doubt it). So, as you say, until you get the likes of DAS, Hodgkinson, Reekie, Muir, Kerr, KJT, Wightman etc. going public and criticising the sport, nothing will change and that should be worrying for everyone in the sport given we are due to host the Europeans in '26 and there is a real risk that if we carry on with the selection policy, GB will be missing from the majority of field events and have limited representation on the track.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

To be fair to Learmouth, he wanted the opportunity to run in front of a home crowd - there's not that many opportunities for major sporting events to be held in Scotland after all. Sure he may not have exactly set the track alight but there was every chance that he could have/would have put in a decent performance.

I agree with you on your second point - nothing is going to change whilst the recognisable names of the sport speak out. That should have started earlier this year with the talking heads on the BBC - but given Denise Lewis' view of Learmouth was "he just wasn't good enough to be selected" and Ennis-Hill doesn't want to say anything that could be viewed as controversial, that's not likely to happen. I'll be interested to see if it is brought up again in Paris and whether Michael Johnson has a more forthright opinion on it (but I kind of doubt it). So, as you say, until you get the likes of DAS, Hodgkinson, Reekie, Muir, Kerr, KJT, Wightman etc. going public and criticising the sport, nothing will change and that should be worrying for everyone in the sport given we are due to host the Europeans in '26 and there is a real risk that if we carry on with the selection policy, GB will be missing from the majority of field events and have limited representation on the track.

It shows mainly there is a lack of trust and respect towards the those who make the decisions. We didn’t see this reaction from those left out from the swimming team. 

On more positive news from Golden League:

new PBs for Nielsen in 400m (50.7) and Muir running a 3m 53 (in a race Faith breaks the WR in a ridiculous 3m 49), also massive PB for Bell in 5th (3m 56)