website statistics

Team GB at IOC 1st World Qualification Boxing Tournament

36 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I wonder if GB are playing the game a smidge here. IF ONLY Ngamba comes through, she magically gets the passport just in time. IF BOTH get through, Ngamba 'remains' a refugee until after the Games, both get to go, with frequent BBC accidental mention of her GB links...

Given the incompetence of Home Office I doubt she'll be getting her passport through before Olympics. :d 

11 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Given the incompetence of Home Office I doubt she'll be getting her passport through before Olympics. :d 

In fact I could see the Home Office being slow on purpose to avoid being accused of rushing it through. 

At the end of Day 6, :GBR have lost half of their contingent of fighters. We're in a better position than some nations, but it's hard to get away from the fact that we've had some disappointing results in the early rounds.

Morning Session:

No Brits in action.

Afternoon Session:

Women's 50Kg :JPN Rinka Kinoshita def. Savannah Stubley (5-0)

Evening Session:

Women's 57Kg - Elise Glynn def. :CHN Xu Zichun (3-2)

Men's 57Kg - Owain Harris-Allan def. :NZL Alex Mukuka (5-0)

32 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

At the end of Day 6, :GBR have lost half of their contingent of fighters. We're in a better position than some nations, but it's hard to get away from the fact that we've had some disappointing results in the early rounds.

Morning Session:

No Brits in action.

Afternoon Session:

Women's 50Kg :JPN Rinka Kinoshita def. Savannah Stubley (5-0)

Evening Session:

Women's 57Kg - Elise Glynn def. :CHN Xu Zichun (3-2)

Men's 57Kg - Owain Harris-Allan def. :NZL Alex Mukuka (5-0)

Given some of the early f***-ups, GBR aren't in that bad a spot, they've strong chances of a few spots - and some big hitters to make amends in Q2. not wildly dissimilar to my other team, Ireland - probably helps me that both Ireland and GB have lost boxers in the few sections were Ireland and GB were going to clash in any event!

With all of the weight classes now at least at the stage of Last-16, it's perhaps worth taking stock of where the team are in the battle for those Olympic Quotas.

Men's 50Kg

Kieran MacDonald - Takes on :PHI Rogen Ladon in the round of 16 on Sunday with the winner progressing to the quota bout next week.  Ladon dispatched :ITA Federico Emilio Serra in the first round before securing a knock out of :MAR Said Mortaji in round 2. The fight against Ladon should be close but it is a winnable fight and arguably a more favourable match-up than facing Serra. If MacDonald can come through, then he will face the winner of :KAZ Saken Bibossinov or :BRN Azat Makhmetov. As a former World champion, Bibossinov will start as favourite but there have been plenty of shocks at the tournament so far. 

Men's 57Kg

Owain Harris-Allan - given he was a late replacement, he has acquitted himself pretty well so far, coming through a tricky opening round against :DOM Jose Luis De Lo Santos by split decision before outclassing :NZL Alex Mukuka. In order to get to the quota fight, he needs to get past :URU Lucas Fernandez Garcia. Despite his good results this week, the quota fight could prove to be a step too far as he's likely to come up against :BRA Lui Oliveira in the quarter-finals.

Men's 63.5Kg 

Patris Mughalzai lost in the round of 32, coming up short against :IRI Ali Habibinezhad. Mughalzai gave it a decent shot, but assuming that Reece Lynch is back to full fitness I would assume that Lynch will get the nod for the second OQT in Bangkok.

Men's 71Kg 

Lewis Richardson - lost in the first round to :IND Dev Nishant. It is hard to be too disappointed when you're losing to a World Bronze medalist, but it is a frustrating result nonetheless. Richardson will probably fight again in Bangkok but not beyond possibility that Harris Akbar could force his way on to the squad. 

Men's 80Kg

Taylor Bevan - In arguably the most disappointing result of the week so far, Bevan lost in the first round to :HUN Pylyp Akilov. Whilst this was always going to be a difficult opener, he lost 5-0 - in a weight class which was probably our best bet of getting a quota. the 80Kg division is probably GB's strongest in terms of depth so it's not guaranteed that Bevan gets the nod for Bangkok.

Men's 92Kg 

Patrick Brown - With a bye in the first round, Brown has only had 1 fight once so far - a 5-0 win over :MKD Boban Ilioski:VEN Sanchez Luis stands in the way of the quota fight and Brown probably start as marginal favourite. Assuming Brown gets through to the quota fight, he'll face either :FRA Soheb Bouafia or :POL Mateusz Bereznicki. The quota bout is going to be tough - the Pole was a bronze medalist at the '23 European Games and Bouafia has had 2 unanimous decisions. 

So from the 3 fighters we still have in play, if I was ranking our chances, I'd probably go:

1.) Kieran Macdonald

2.) Patrick Brown

3.) Owain Harris-Allan

Women's 50Kg

Savannah Stubley - Had to wait until day 6 before she got to take to the ring and came out on the wrong side of a 5-0 decision. Come Bangkok, the question will be whether GB Boxing stick with Stubley or revert back to Demi-Jade Resztan. 

Women's 57Kg

Elise Glynn - Needs to get to the semi-finals in order to secure the quota so is only half-way there after wins over :LAT Jekaterina Sorokina followed by :CHN Xu Zichun. Next up is :TUR Esra Yildiz Kahraman - a tough match up but one that Glynn can win if she is on form. The quota fight will be against the winner of :PHI Nesthy Petecio and :NED Maud Van Der Toorn. Would like to see Glynn get the quota but think she'll come up short.

Women's 60Kg

Shona Whitwell - Another 1st round loser. She's yet to win a single bout in the 2 qualifying tournaments she has competed in - although to be fair both loses came at the hands of :KOS Donjeta Sadiku. Despite that, I think she'll still get the nod for Bangkok over Gemma Richardson.

Women's 75Kg

Chantelle Reid - Probably our best chance of a quota on the women's side although difficult to read too much into her victory over :TTO Eyed Angel George. In the last-16, Reid will be up against :BRA Viviane Pereira. Assuming she can come through that, the quota fight will probably be against :UZB Aziza Zokirova.

2 Quota fights secured:

Men's 92Kg - Patrick Brown. Faces :POL Mateusz Bereznicki on Monday. Bereznicki won a bronze medal at last year's European Games so will be a difficult opponent to overcome. It's a winnable match-up though and Brown will take comfort from the fact that Bereznicki lost in the first round of the BoxAm tournament in La Nucia in February.

Women's 75Kg - Chantelle Reid. Faces :UZB Aziza Zokirova on Monday. Zokirova was DSQ in her last fight at the Nations Cup event in Serbia back in January so difficult to gauge her form. Reid wasn't on great form at the Tammer Tarnaus at the end of last year but she did take a bronze medal at the Sheffield World Cup event in January. 

(Women's 75Kg - Cindy Ngamba. Faces :TUR Busra Isildar on Monday). Should be Ngamba's toughest fight yet, but she'll be pretty confident of her form.