website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2024 Broadcasters

Reading some nonsense in an HBO press release about how one will never have to miss anything, thanks to their 'medal alerts' and 'key moments'.....which very much sound like super spoilery features :hairpull: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Hopefully they are as good as the ones in Tokyo, which were the best ever in my opinion.

Honestly I never really care about the things like the colours and fonts, as long as they are practical and more or less in the same way as we're used from the sports. Like, in biathlon there's always this tendency during the Olympics to have entirely different graphics for the shooting for example, compared to the World Cups and such, which makes the shooting much harder to follow.

Just keep what works and maybe change a few colours to make it consistent, but don't go with an entirely different layout than in the regular seasons..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 7/7/2024 at 1:01 PM, Grassmarket said:

This is a post I did a couple of weeks ago on the British Athletics Weekly forum.

Here's the situation in :GBR, which I believe will be replicated in pretty much all :EUU countries

BBC Mainstream Channels - Most important events chapped like thin slices of sushi and mixed up with each other along with plentiful blethering, montages, previews, interviews, reviews and news. Also will be constant channel changing, so if you expect to watch the Big Race starting at 17:59 on BBC1, you will be switched away to BBC2 , then have to sit through credits, blethering, an interview with Keely H, a feature on Keely H's dogs, Gabby, Denise & Jess's opinions about Keely and only then see the Big Race at 18:15 by time you will already know the result.

BBC Red Button - A bit better, in that it will be full uninterrupted coverage of your match, session or whatever, with just a quick introductory voice-over before getting on with it.

BBC iPlayer - Will only show what has previously been shown on one of the other BBC Channels. Usually slow to post, so if you want to see something that took place at 08:30 expect to wait to about 16:00 before it is up.

Eurosport 1 and 2 linear channels packaged on Sky, Virgin etc. Usual Eurosport style. Big solid bleeding hunks of live action. Introductions and reviews don't overlap the main feature, but are shown before and afterwards, or at worst as picture within picture. Nowadays, lots more adverts than there were three or four years ago. Lots of repeats overnight. Familiar well-informed commentators & experts. Advert-free option available if you are paying for Discovery Plus.

Discovery Plus Online - The only place to see every single thing being broadcast with dozens of streams going at the same time. Available on all major hardware platforms and devices. You'll need good broadband, multiple HDMI inputs on your TV and home wifi. Apart from the stuff which overlaps with Eurosport commentators will be from the World Feed. That should be OK for Athletics where it should be familiar voices. Also multi-tracks (usually without commentary) for all field events, uninterrupted long races etc. Commentary a bit less reliable for minority sports as New Zealand horse-racing commentators attempt to get to grips with canoe slalom, Australian Rugby League commentators do synchro swimming etc. But you will have to pay at least some kind of monthly fee for the length of the Games, possibly even a longer contract. So start looking out now for bargains and offers.

Funnily enough I know the guy who did canoe slalom in Tokyo. He’s Irish and his “main” sport is football. Think 3/4 Irish freelancers worked last time. Saw some online commentary from Irish fans thinking it weird that RTE (our state broadcaster) sent commentary teams to canoeing and triathlon but not other more popular sports (the two lads who did those sports were ex-RTE)

16 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

You pay Netflix? It should be good for new stuff, dont know about rare and classic films.

It has good things, which is great when you start subscribing but general quality of the content is poor which becomes obvious when you watched all the good stuff 

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Reading some nonsense in an HBO press release about how one will never have to miss anything, thanks to their 'medal alerts' and 'key moments'.....which very much sound like super spoilery features :hairpull: 

I'll never understand the concept of "spoilers" in live sport events. I want to know who won a match/medal as soon as it happens, even if I'm not watching it.

2 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

I'll never understand the concept of "spoilers" in live sport events. I want to know who won a match/medal as soon as it happens, even if I'm not watching it.

Yeah, but if you're late for some reason and want to watch, say, the Olympic final of the men's volleyball....it doesn't bother you at all to know beforehand that it was a 3-set match (and thus you can stop watching after 1 set, because you know who won)? :yikes: 

I think you're the opposite of me, I never understand how people can still enjoy sports (a full match/race at least) when already knowing what's going to happen :d 

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Honestly I never really care about the things like the colours and fonts, as long as they are practical and more or less in the same way as we're used from the sports. Like, in biathlon there's always this tendency during the Olympics to have entirely different graphics for the shooting for example, compared to the World Cups and such, which makes the shooting much harder to follow.

Just keep what works and maybe change a few colours to make it consistent, but don't go with an entirely different layout than in the regular seasons..

Me too, that's why I like the ones from Tokyo, even though there was some complaints for certain sports. However, I do think it's important that they look good, which is why I didn't like the ones from Rio 2016.

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, but if you're late for some reason and want to watch, say, the Olympic final of the men's volleyball....it doesn't bother you at all to know beforehand that it was a 3-set match (and thus you can stop watching after 1 set, because you know who won)? :yikes: 

I think you're the opposite of me, I never understand how people can still enjoy sports (a full match/race at least) when already knowing what's going to happen :d 

I get it, but for me it's much more exciting to know the results as they happen. Sadly, I also don't have the time to watch reruns, so if I miss something I'll probably just watch some highlights later.

19 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

I get it, but for me it's much more exciting to know the results as they happen. Sadly, I also don't have the time to watch reruns, so if I miss something I'll probably just watch some highlights later.

I agree. I also feel more connected when I get to know things live as they happen and seeing the reactions of friends on whatsapp or other people online, instead of not reading news and watching the events in my own time. Sports are all about sharing the moment. On top of that I also don't have time to watch reruns, so avoiding spoilers isn't really worth it either way.