website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

4 hours ago, vovanA said:
  • Bahrain participation in World Athletics Championships Tokyo 25 will be limited to a maximum of 10 athletes.
  • Bahrain will not participate in any other World Athletics Series events for 12 months from 1 June 2024.
  • Bahrain will not apply for any transfers of allegiance or recruit any foreign athletes until 2027.

https://worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/aiu-board-recommendation-bahrain-athletics-association-roadmap

Feel a bit sorry for all those world-class Bahraini teenagers working their way through the system.  :rofl:

24 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Feel a bit sorry for all those world-class Bahraini teenagers working their way through the system.  :rofl:

I really wish world athletics took a stronger position on this aspect of Bahraini athletics, they just kind of added it on the end to appease people without really addressing the problem. When your entire athletics team is made up of naturalised athletes you must be doing something wrong. For me, the worst case has to be Salwa Eid Naser, who changed her name to compete for Bahrain from Nigeria. You can't blame the athletes because they are doing the best for their careers, but to me it send out the wrong image for the athletics community.