website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2023 - 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I wouldn't really consider that the main sterotype of Europeans in the states. The main sterotypes would be based around the access to healthcare, ancient history, and high cuisine/fasion. 

And not endless pointless war they expect the Americans to sort out for them?

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't mind if people say the Netherlands is just full with people smoking weed while either ice skating or wearing wooden shoes :p 

I can attest for the bolded part :p Not much for the skating and wooden shoes though.

The common list for Holland, a.k.a. The Netherlands here is -> weed everywhere -> Red Light district -> very tall people -> "they hate us", mostly Bulgaria, but could also be for Eastern Europe.

So quick update from Soldier Hollow.  Tomingas is really a tall athlete.  Anna Mangasson is not.  There was a very skinny Lithuanian female that was right in front of me on the range who I think weighted about 40 kilos.

The Men's relay was really fun to watch as the US did well.  The sprint was interesting.  I was the sweeper for lanes 25-30, only about 10 of the 95 biathletes shot from those lanes.  You can actually see my on the broadcast if you look at Stina Nilsson standing shoot, I am in the background.  Also, if you look carefully at 1:09:45 you can see me do my vital work :)

This has been a fun few days.

7 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

So quick update from Soldier Hollow.  Tomingas is really a tall athlete.  Anna Mangasson is not.  There was a very skinny Lithuanian female that was right in front of me on the range who I think weighted about 40 kilos.

The Men's relay was really fun to watch as the US did well.  The sprint was interesting.  I was the sweeper for lanes 25-30, only about 10 of the 95 biathletes shot from those lanes.  You can actually see my on the broadcast if you look at Stina Nilsson standing shoot, I am in the background.  Also, if you look carefully at 1:09:45 you can see me do my vital work :)

This has been a fun few days.

Yeah, Tomingas is huge and has towers for legs :d (wait until you see Maya Cloetens though)

Awesome that you're involved as volunteer! Without people like you sports can't happen, so thanks, and have fun!

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 3/6/2024 at 11:16 PM, Monzanator said:

:FRA Sophie Chauveau will miss Soldier Hollow because she visited Cuba on a holiday trip some years ago and this was the reason USA didn't grant her a visa :coffee:

Why is this a problem? I thought lots of people go to Cuba casually and then return to America. 

9 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Why is this a problem? I thought lots of people go to Cuba casually and then return to America. 

It's not necessarily a problem, she would have easily gotten a visa. The problem isn't that the USA didn't grant her one, it's that due to her having visited Cuba, she should have used the regular visa application process instead of the simple ESTA process, which both her and (more importantly) her federation apparently missed.

Had they applied for it in the regular way, well in advance, there most likely would not have been any problem.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, Tomingas is huge and has towers for legs :d (wait until you see Maya Cloetens though)

Awesome that you're involved as volunteer! Without people like you sports can't happen, so thanks, and have fun!

Other observations.  Many of the coaches/biathletes uses the English language as it is the common language between them.  One that I did find odd though is the Korean shooting coach spoke to two of of the biathletes (Choi and Ko) in Korean, but Avvakumova in English.

Kuzmina is pretty tall.  Dale-Skjevdal is very friendly.  Seriously, if there is a race near you, give it a shot.  There are over 350 volunteers this week.  Plus, it is the best seat in the house.  

Edited by RobtheAggie

11 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Other observations.  Many of the coaches/biathletes uses the English language as it is the common language between them.  One that I did find odd though is the Korean shooting coach spoke to two of of the biathletes (Choi and Ko) in Korean, but Avvakumova in English.

Not odd at all!  :thumbup:

29 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Kuzmina is pretty tall.  Dale-Skjevdal is very friendly.  Seriously, if there is a race near you, give it a shot.  There are over 350 volunteers this week.  Plus, it is the best seat in the house.  

Good to know Dale is a friendly guy :d 

Campbell Wright is a super nice guy as well. He was part of one of the groups in Livigno, training under an Italian former biathlete where everything was just focused on the money, it's great to see he got out of there in recent years and has really started to show his potential!

And while you're at it, give an extra cheer to Aita Gasparin, Lena Häcki, Lotte Lie, Michele Carrara, Anastasiya Merkushuna and obviously Baiba Bendika, all of whom are super friendly people as well :d 

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It's not necessarily a problem, she would have easily gotten a visa. The problem isn't that the USA didn't grant her one, it's that due to her having visited Cuba, she should have used the regular visa application process instead of the simple ESTA process, which both her and (more importantly) her federation apparently missed.

Had they applied for it in the regular way, well in advance, there most likely would not have been any problem.

Just wait till LA 2028 when the Cuban team is banned from competing.