website statistics

Artistic Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Thanks @Rafa Maciel

Any news on South Africa accepting their quota? They DNS in Doha.

Also I didn't notice until now that only 18 duets are going to Paris, whereas it was 22 in Tokyo and 24 prior to that.

:RSA is a strange one - I can only assume one of the pairing picked up an injury - but I can't find any reference to what the issue was.

In terms of SA accepting the quota, I haven't found their selection document but did find a media article with an interview of Strugnell and Hayes-Hill which said "The qualification process ahead of the final selection by SA Swimming is extremely demanding - it requires swimmers to compete 3 times in a very short season. These competitions were scheduled for December, February and March. I assume the February competition refers to the World Champs, but not sure what the December and March one referred to.

There was also an article from November of last year which suggested that Swimming South Africa had imposed harsher qualifying standards for Paris across water polo, open water swimming and artistic swimming so it wouldn't surprise me if they do reject it. 

No Olympic team quota for us. Horrible World Championships so far for Canada, with missed quota opportunities in diving and open water swimming so far. Women’s water polo team isn’t in a great position either.