website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just woke up to that news . wow

That was a miscalculated move, there will be a response, and it won't be small. now a war is more possible than ever. probably a sure thing.

Ghasem Soleimani was always the man in the shadow, he was more known outside of Iran. and I think his role was exaggerated both by Iranian and western media. he was just a general. they will replace him with someone else tomorrow.

if I were American tourists, I wouldn't go anywhere near the middle east.

I don't give a shit about this guy, he was a criminal, like Trump and his group. the world is probably a better place without all of them.

but right now the bad news for me is they shot down all activities (including sport competitions) here for the next 2 days :cry:

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, but that wasn’t why :p

I was in the best Dutch bakery in California :d.

Now I'm curious what they have there :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Just woke up to that news . wow

That was a miscalculated move, there will be a response, and it won't be small. now a war is more possible than ever. probably a sure thing.

Ghasem Soleimani was always the man in the shadow, he was more known outside of Iran. and I think his role was exaggerated both by Iranian and western media. he was just a general. they will replace him with someone else tomorrow.

if I were American tourists, I wouldn't go anywhere near the middle east.

I don't give a shit about this guy, he was a criminal, like Trump and his group. the world is probably a better place without all of them.

but right now the bad news for me is they shot down all activities (including sport competitions) here for the next 2 days :cry:

Any mention in Iranian media about what Soleimani was doing in Baghdad? This whole thing is slightly confusing for me, so ignore my ignorance/non-knowledge on the topic please.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Any mention in Iranian media about what Soleimani was doing in Baghdad? This whole thing is slightly confusing for me, so ignore my ignorance/non-knowledge on the topic please.

he was always there. :d Iraq, Syria, Lebanon. wherever Iran has proxy groups to support. I assume he was spending only 1-2 months of the year inside the country.

I assume you don't know what was his position, Iran has 2 armies (weird, I know) a regular army and IRGC or as we call it simply Sepah, they created Sepah after 1979 revolution because they didn't trust the "army" at the time. they were afraid of a coup , the country wasn't stable at all.

after 40 years Sepah is not just military anymore, they are in everything, everywhere, something like mafia.

Sepah has different units, one of them is Quds (or Ghods) which was leaded by this guy in past 23 years. Quds force "manages" things outside of Iranian border. that's why I said he was in shadow for so many years. I'm quite sure 7-8 years ago most people didn't know him here. the regime for a reason (which we don't know but we can guess) tried to bold him in past few years.

I can guess he was supposed to take a bigger role in future. maybe being the president in 2025 or maybe sooner in 2021 when people won't show up for the election (for obvious reasons) and with low turnout the hardliners always win. this is just my guess, nobody knew for sure

Edited by MHSN

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Now I'm curious what they have there :p 

Literally everything.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

he was always there. :d Iraq, Syria, Lebanon. wherever Iran has proxy groups to support. I assume he was spending only 1-2 months of the year inside the country.

I assume you don't know what was his position, Iran has 2 armies (weird, I know) a regular army and IRGC or as we call it simply Sepah, they created Sepah after 1979 revolution because they didn't trust the "army" at the time. they were afraid of a coup , the country wasn't stable at all.

after 40 years Sepah is not just military anymore, they are in everything, everywhere, something like mafia.

Sepah has different units, one of them is Quds (or Ghods) which was leaded by this guy in past 23 years. Quds force "manages" things outside of Iranian border. that's why I said he was in shadow for so many years. I'm quite sure 7-8 years ago most people didn't know him here. the regime for a reason (which we don't know but we can guess) tried to bold him in past few years.

I can guess he was supposed to take a bigger role in future. maybe being the president in 2025 or maybe sooner in 2021 when people won't show up for the election (for obvious reasons) and with low turnout the hardliners always win. this is just my guess, nobody knew for sure

Yeah western media and politicians had suspected he was pegged to be the next Supreme Leader. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah western media and politicians had suspected he was pegged to be the next Supreme Leader. 

that was impossible. supreme leader should be a cleric, not a general. you know these guys have their own school, and some of them have a higher degree which called "Ayatollah" , supreme leader should be an Ayatollah. that's the rule but well they bend the rules before to appoint him when Khomeini died. he wasn't an Ayatollah at the time, they made him one overnight.

even though right now there is no "candidate" to take over when Khameneyi dies. so nobody can predict what will happen that day. (maybe he is starting to think he will live forever ?!!) that guy who challenged Rouhani in last presidency was supposed to be a candidate (at least that was a guess from the analysts) but since he lost an election he is out of the picture.

just to give you a better picture, at least for their own supporters they try to picture the supreme leader as someone holy, untouchable, something like God , maybe that was possible 30 years ago but nowadays it's really hard to sell someone (even to their own supporters) as the supreme leader.

Getting in the 2020 YOG mood with a little cross country skiing today. Honestly one of the most enjoyable activities to do in the winter. I think backcountry skiing would be awesome too, but I’ve never been.

50 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Literally everything.

Like?