website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2023

Heck, in Lithuania there was a huge Italian pop music phase when I was a child. 

Then in mid 2000's Romania took over :lol: 

I just spent my time mostly listening to music from the US and UK that my uncle recorded for me and my sister on CD's :p 

Until of course I started winning or buying my own CD's and then the Internet took over :d 

L'italiano was very very popular here amidst songs like: "That's Amore", "O Sole Mio", "Volare", "Felicita", "Bella Ciao", "Buona Sera", "Quando Quando Quando" and many others. It was often translated into Lithuanian and performed by local artists too as originals, which was and is very very illegal, but the older generation of musicians and artists really built their entire careers on stealing music that worked.

Which is why I rarely nominate older music from Lithuania in these contests, we didn't really have that much to be proud of. 

The song l'Italiano was one of the most famous of Toto Cutugno.

Music by Cutugno and lyrics written by his close collaborator of the time Cristiano Minellono.

.Was a worldwide success (not only in the '80)with more than 100 million sell.

It has been translated (or music base used) into many languages, including Finnish and Vietnamese.

• (1983) Finnish singer Kari Tapio recorded a cover titled "Olen suomalainen" ("I am a Finn")
  • (1983) Dutch Canyon version titled "Als ik maar bij jou ben" ("As long as I'm with you")
  • (1983) French singer Hervé Vilard recorded the song in French as "Méditerranéenne".
  • (1983) Brazilian singer José Augusto recorded the song in Portuguese as "Faz de Conta"
  • (1998) the Hungarian band Happy Gang made a cover titled "Sokáig voltam távol" ("I've been away for long")
  • (2001) Vietnamese singer Đàm Vĩnh Hưng recorded his version in Vietnamese as "Say Tình"
  • (2005) Austrian-Italian singer Patrizio Buanne recorded his version
  • (2011) french band The Gypsy Queens was released a cover in Italian language
  • (2013) Egyptian Lara Scandar "Taalou Ghannou Maaya"

and a version in Chinese from Toto cutugno (2015)

Note: Toto Cutugno won a Eurovision in 1990 (with song "Insieme 1992") and was a co-host at ESC 1991 in Rome

@heywoodu @OlympicIRL  @Bohemia

Edited by Henry_Leon

I always thought I was living under the rocks, but now I found out that I am not the only one :p

Are we talking about Toto Cutugno ? Oh dear, I can hardly imagine more Italian cliche thing than Spaghetti, Calcio or Holding up the Pisa Tower attempts on photos. Because if there something then surely it must be Toto Cutugno´s Italiano Vero :lol: I mean, I feel like this tune was following me my entire life, It was so used and played here every single time in our TV and medias literally whenever and I mean... Whenever...something Italian was on TV :d

Like yes, I admit, that I do not know a single Taylor Swift song or had no idea who was Justin Bieber before I heard that ... (yeah, ok.. lets call it a song or music if you wish since it is a bit better than rap, however still enough to vomit when you hear it)... here in TISC a couple of edition ago...  but I am shocked people did not know Cutugno´s Italiano ! Seriously shocked !

Edited by hckošice