website statistics

BMX Cycling Freestyle at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Because the qualification system is a mess :hairpull:

According to the qualification document:

"The highest ranked NOC from a continent which has not yet qualified any quota places through the Olympic Qualifier Series will qualify a maximum of one quota place"

So if it is separate quotas for South America is required, it would be allocated from 2022 results. 

I don't think that's correct. 2022 results get priority over 2023 so if there are continental allocations from 2022 or 2023 they will come first at the expense of the 2023 WC quota winners.  See the last paragraph.

https://olympics.com/en/news/how-to-qualify-for-bmx-freestyle-paris-2024-olympic-qualification-system

P.S. Yes it is a confusing mess.

So let's play through a scenario: 

Let's assume those nations get a quota through OQS in 2024: 

2x USA, GBR, AUS, JPN, FRA 

What would that mean of the WCH Quotas: 

2022 ARG (if South America is a separate continent) + JPN 

2023 South Africa, GBR, AUS, CRO (realocation of host quota) 

or if it is PanAm

2022 JPN, FRA

2023 S. Africa, GBR, AUS, CRO

Is this correct?

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

I don't think that's correct. 2022 results get priority over 2023 so if there are continental allocations from 2022 or 2023 they will come first at the expense of the 2023 WC quota winners.  See the last paragraph.

https://olympics.com/en/news/how-to-qualify-for-bmx-freestyle-paris-2024-olympic-qualification-system

P.S. Yes it is a confusing mess.

The whole thing is an absolute clusterf**k but as I understand it, the last paragraph only comes into play when all the continents have a representative. 2022 results will be used to give South America a quota and 2023 will be used to give Africa a quota.

6 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

So let's play through a scenario: 

Let's assume those nations get a quota through OQS in 2024: 

2x USA, GBR, AUS, JPN, FRA 

What would that mean of the WCH Quotas: 

2022 ARG (if South America is a separate continent) + JPN 

2023 South Africa, GBR, AUS, CRO (realocation of host quota) 

or if it is PanAm

2022 JPN, FRA

2023 S. Africa, GBR, AUS, CRO

Is this correct?

That's my understanding 

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The whole thing is an absolute clusterf**k but as I understand it, the last paragraph only comes into play when all the continents have a representative. 2022 results will be used to give South America a quota and 2023 will be used to give Africa a quota.

I think South America has a good chance to end up among top 6 in 2024 as well (ARG and VEN).

7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Tentative quotas for :USA :CHN :GBR in the women's event

Hannah Roberts has already qualified last year. I think this time it will be :CHN :GBR :COL ... Which leave :CZE Iveta Miculyčová again as first below the line. 😭

South Africa has historically turned down continental quotas on sports in which their athletes are not world level, so hoping this would be the case...

I do like the idea for this qualification process, but I think either the OQS should have come before or they would be last in priority... 

But I also struggle to understand if someone can win 2 quotas. I would vote no because it does not make any sense, but...