website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

George_D

3 hours ago, George_D said:

Yes and an indication that we lack new generation talented players

I agree. Our 1996/1997/1998 boys looked so promising and did very well in those youth competitions, won a few European titles as well. Aside from Papagiannis and Mitoglou (and Dorsey who hasn't played for our national teams in years), none of those guys have really lived up to expectations. I expected much more from Charalampopoulos mostly, but also others like Koniaris, Mouratos, Lountzis, Toliopoulos etc.

We'll be playing with mostly guys who are part of our qualifiers teams (when we can't use NBA or Euroleague players).

Hopefully in the future the Antetokounmpo brothers are available because we really need them. In the past we had so much depth that it wasn't a big deal to miss a few key players here and there, but now things have really gone downhill.

Also that 1996-1988 generation reminds me of the 1989-1991 generation which did very well and won some European titles in their age groups. Now I guess just Sloukas and Calathes are left from those teams (and Papanikolaou who is injured). Koufos, Mantzaris, Pappas, Jankovic...more was expected from these guys. I mean I think Kaselakis and Katsivelis were part of those teams, but those aren't really the guys we want on our senior team yet here they are.

Agravanis is another player I had high expectations for but injuries ruined his career so far.

32 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I agree. Our 1996/1997/1998 boys looked so promising and did very well in those youth competitions, won a few European titles as well. Aside from Papagiannis and Mitoglou (and Dorsey who hasn't played for our national teams in years), none of those guys have really lived up to expectations. I expected much more from Charalampopoulos mostly, but also others like Koniaris, Mouratos, Lountzis, Toliopoulos etc.

We'll be playing with mostly guys who are part of our qualifiers teams (when we can't use NBA or Euroleague players).

Hopefully in the future the Antetokounmpo brothers are available because we really need them. In the past we had so much depth that it wasn't a big deal to miss a few key players here and there, but now things have really gone downhill.

Also that 1996-1988 generation reminds me of the 1989-1991 generation which did very well and won some European titles in their age groups. Now I guess just Sloukas and Calathes are left from those teams (and Papanikolaou who is injured). Koufos, Mantzaris, Pappas, Jankovic...more was expected from these guys. I mean I think Kaselakis and Katsivelis were part of those teams, but those aren't really the guys we want on our senior team yet here they are.

Agravanis is another player I had high expectations for but injuries ruined his career so far.

Is Giannis going to play if you make it to Tokyo?

32 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Is Giannis going to play if you make it to Tokyo?

I believe so. However, it's unlikely that we make it unfortunately.

If we somehow do make it, I expect a few changes to the roster if some of our other good players recover from injuries by then (in addition to Giannis and Thanasis being added to the roster).