website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games Paris 2024

Josh

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Still more than me though :p

I'm wondering if this is playable if basically all you can move is your arms, but to quite a limited extent. That's the situation for my sister's boyfriend, who can basically just move his arms due to a muscle disease (and only very limited, like he can't put on a jacket or even a hat by himself or something). Would be cool if this is something he can do :p 

I’d assume that he’d be able to play, yeah, even with limited arm movement :d

Boccia is a very inclusive sport. I know not the same thing, but you can even play it if your visually impaired. 

For example, in visually impaired boccia, a scaled down boccia grid is used. Grids are scaled down versions of the court, and different shapes and sizes of pegs are used to differentiate between the two colours.

Is he able to grip things? If not, he might need a little bit of help from someone, who will place the ball in his hand and help him get a firm grip of it. Not sure how limited you mean, as in what he can do with his arms, but I highly suggest using a ramp if the mobility in his arms won’t let him toss the ball far (based off of what I heard, I’m assuming this would be suitable for him)

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

What would be the minimum requirements one needs to play boccia, in terms of being able to move? Asking you because you seem to watch it quite a bit :d 

Believe it is created for people that have cerebral palsy, but there are different categories for degrees of severity and other conditions now.  Some people literally seem to be able to move only their head, nothing below the neck.  They play by instructing assistants to set up a frame.   I'm sure there will be someone near him that can help.  

Edited by Grassmarket

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

Is he able to grip things? If not, he might need a little bit of help from someone, who will place the ball in his hand and help him get a firm grip of it. Not sure how limited you mean, as in what he can do with his arms, but I highly suggest using a ramp if the mobility in his arms won’t let him toss the ball far (based off of what I heard, I’m assuming this would be suitable for him)

He can grip things without too much power. Like, he eats by himself (but with someone cutting the harder parts like meat), but he doesn't hold a glass/cup with a drink in it (straws are used for that). I think tossing a ball isn't really going to go great, but a ramp might be an option then.

I'll see if they're interested in giving it a try, they live in one of the bigger cities in the Netherlands so who knows, maybe there's an opportunity nearby (I'm going to assume we don't have like 50 boccia clubs all over the country :p).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Some overactive stickler to the rules wanted to prevent Mathieu Bosredon's partner from being able to give him a proper hug and kiss :facepalm:

Luckily they decided that rules sometimes should have a bit of leniency. You know, like when the athlete is confined to a very low handbike and simply can't reach over the fence to give someone a hug.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Josh said:

:SVK Mezik rocking blue hair and a red mohawk, I love it :dIMG_9731.jpeg

That would be David Smith :GBR. There's a Union Jack on his sleeve.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I think think :GBR might just miss 100 medals but not by that much. Equestrian is doing ok with three bronzes so if they keep up that they could get 6-7 medals in total which is not too bad, Still it will be quite a drop and raise some concerns. Athletics has been a mess and I’m not sure they will even get to 15 medals.