website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

That won't be fully finalized until early 2026, likely after the Winter Olympics

7 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

I do think the provisional/optional sports are a good idea. There were demonstration sports before, often they were "typical" of the host country, only there were no medals awarded.

This new system is a new form of that with medals this time.

It allows to include sports which the organizers think represent the host country or are typical there (I think lacrosse  which AFAIK will be in LA falls in this category - it is a university sport in N America but I don't think its that popular in Europe) without opening the whole battle of permanently include a sport (with everything it takes, venues etc)

I think, we could have the best of both worlds. Just one or two "local" sports with enough international footprint (so, no Lacrosse) but nowhere near olympic status and real medals. For instance, a Rugby League (nine or thirteen) tournament in 2032 would be perfectly fine to me.

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And apparently World Aquatics has also made it's 4-yearly bullshit request of having the 50m's added....which apparently but luckily has once again been denied.

They should allow it but tell them no more quotas. 

12 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I think each federation needs to decide it.   Besides boxing and breaking going bye bye

They better hurry then...time is very much ticking.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Faramir said:

And that some beach sprint events in rowing will replace the lightweights.

And we also know this should be three event: men’s single scull, women’s single scull and a mixed double scull.

12 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That won't be fully finalized until early 2026, likely after the Winter Olympics

Oh wow, that is actually quite ridiculous. You seriously can't do that to athletes, not even knowing yet what they can or can not qualify for two years before the Olympics :hairpull: 

Trust me, the stress of qualifying alone is more than enough to drive an athlete and their surroundings mad, let alone if you don't even know the exact events yet..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!