website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior & Youth World Championships 2023

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow during Men's Youth Individual race we will see :GRL brothers Slettemark, Inuk and Sondre.

Also I see for the first time in my life biathletes from :THA in start lists in both mens and womens race, it's probably debut for the nation. Good to see more nations competing in this fantastics sport :)

German dominance continues. 7 races so far, Germany won 4 golds already. Of course it has to be mentioned that France doesn’t compete at youth level and Russia doesn’t compete at all. Still the gap between Germany and Italy (finished 2nd) in today’s youth women’s relay was insane. Almost 2 minutes despite the fact that only 3 athletes compete in youth relays. Not sure if we ever had such a huge gap before. Really nice to see that Germany finally reached skiing speed superiority, i always thought that this was the key. Tannheimer (Women’s youth individual), Engelmann (Mens youth individual) and Grotian (Women’s junior individual) all had the fastest skiing time + Menz (Men’s junior individual) had the 2nd fastest skiing time.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Crazy that Germany has to feel dissatisfied with the results so far despite winning 5 golds already. They threw away 3 golds in mixed youth relay, men’s youth relay and men’s junior relay. With those 3 golds they already would have been at 8 golds and I am not sure if there ever was a nation that won more than 8 golds at youth/junior world championships. With 8 races to go they might still get there. Unless Grotian wins gold and another medal in her two remaining races, this competition will be seen as a disappointment for her (given how far ahead she is of all her competitors). Tannheimer and Kink should also combine for at least 1 gold + 2 more medals in their remaining 2 races and Engelmann should also aim at winning at least 1 gold. In the remaining two junior competitions on the men’s side I don’t expect anything from the German guys, Norway seems to have multiple guys who could all win gold in the two remaining races.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Another (expected) gold + silver (Tannheimer + Kink) for Germany in women's youth sprint. Tannheimer and Kink are clearly superior at this age level. If Grotian would have competed, then Germany very likely would have swept the podium and probably would have won the relay by 3+ minutes. Surprisingly Tannheimer (who is a great talent) doesn't look like the best talent in this age group. Tanglander from Sweden (born in 2007, 2 years younger than Tannheimer) looks like an even bigger talent + russian/french women are missing. (Somewhat) Bold prediction: Tanglander will make the 2026 olympics (as an 18 year old). Sweden doesn't have to worry about the future thanks to 2 x Öberg + Tanglander.