website statistics

Men's Tennis ITF Davis Cup 2023

Totallympics

I did not have the chance to watch it live today, only some highlights in my TV now, but I have to say that this whole idea about the venue at the Panathenaic Stadium works well, I was expecting maybe more spectators, but the commentators said that the atmosphere was still excellent.

9c8e38fb-1428-429e-8325-bca7c721123c.jpg

F6JV4-NXcAApZ1-?format=jpg&name=medium
Edited by hckošice

Congrats for the win @hckošice

Tsitsipas seemed too tired in the end, he had to play many long matches the last two days, Slovakia is a much better team overall and they deserved the win.

I also expected more spectators, and I think it might've happened if we played at night instead. It was very hot to sit out in the sun all day, and it's a shame because tickets were actually quite inexpensive. Also we might've done better at night because the temperature is cooler, so maybe Stefanos wouldn't have been as tired after that long doubles match and then singles right after :d

Also I think there wasn't much interest from the Greek public. When we played against your other country, Ecuador, earlier this year, we had bigger crowds despite snow that day (obviously we played indoors) because it was a few days after Stefanos played in the Australian Open final.

Now, he lost in the second round at the US Open and is being unfairly criticised a lot by the public these days for not winning any Grand Slam, and many Greeks gave up on him and stopped supporting him, because we have a country full of negative, miserable people who only care about athletes and teams when they are winning :rolleyes:

I am proud that he put our country on the tennis map, as a teenager he was already our best male tennis player of all time (of those who actually represented Greece) and still the only to make the top 100 ranking and he got up to number 3 and is currently number 5, but it's never enough to please some people because he doesn't win as much as Djokovic and Alcaraz...Also let's not forget how many top 10 players skipped Davis Cup this week, but Stefanos almost always shows up, even though he is playing in Canada next week and was in USA last week, it's not an easy trip for a few days but I am proud to have someone dedicated to their national team and I wish more Greeks appreciate that, we are very lucky to have someone like him! When his career is over they will regret not appreciating him... 

31 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Congrats for the win @hckošice

Tsitsipas seemed too tired in the end, he had to play many long matches the last two days, Slovakia is a much better team overall and they deserved the win.

I also expected more spectators, and I think it might've happened if we played at night instead. It was very hot to sit out in the sun all day, and it's a shame because tickets were actually quite inexpensive. Also we might've done better at night because the temperature is cooler, so maybe Stefanos wouldn't have been as tired after that long doubles match and then singles right after :d

Also I think there wasn't much interest from the Greek public. When we played against your other country, Ecuador, earlier this year, we had bigger crowds despite snow that day (obviously we played indoors) because it was a few days after Stefanos played in the Australian Open final.

Now, he lost in the second round at the US Open and is being unfairly criticised a lot by the public these days for not winning any Grand Slam, and many Greeks gave up on him and stopped supporting him, because we have a country full of negative, miserable people who only care about athletes and teams when they are winning :rolleyes:

I am proud that he put our country on the tennis map, as a teenager he was already our best male tennis player of all time (of those who actually represented Greece) and still the only to make the top 100 ranking and he got up to number 3 and is currently number 5, but it's never enough to please some people because he doesn't win as much as Djokovic and Alcaraz...Also let's not forget how many top 10 players skipped Davis Cup this week, but Stefanos almost always shows up, even though he is playing in Canada next week and was in USA last week, it's not an easy trip for a few days but I am proud to have someone dedicated to their national team and I wish more Greeks appreciate that, we are very lucky to have someone like him! When his career is over they will regret not appreciating him... 

1) Thanks.

2) Yeah, logic, in Tennis definitely also personally I would rather spend my money to watch :ECU than :SVK, so I understand it.

3) Tsitsipas is number 5 in the ranking, I think it says all about how great player he is, Respect to Greece for having such player. What would we give to have a player like him. People are weird sometime, do not pay so much attention for it. I mean, he came here to play for the country (he could easily refuse and spend some days off somewhere with his love instead) and people still find a way to bitch

PS: In conclusion, I would rather trade this win over the Greek for the one in the wrestling earlier today, that one is heartbreaking. Anyway congrats for it and your guy.

52 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Canada finished a top of Group A and qualified to the quarterfinals

It's impressive that they did it without Auger-Aliassime and Shapovalov.

Then again, considering how poorly both have played this year, maybe this was the only chance for them to qualify :lol:

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

I got there early in the morning when I visited, and it was still ridiculously hot and humid. Those marble seats soak up a bit of the heat, but they hold it in too. 

I love how the Greeks make use of that stadium though. Y’all were running some sort of kids sport activation when I was there. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I got there early in the morning when I visited, and it was still ridiculously hot and humid. Those marble seats soak up a bit of the heat, but they hold it in too. 

I love how the Greeks make use of that stadium though. Y’all were running some sort of kids sport activation when I was there. 

Yes, it is one of the main tourist attractions in Athens but also there are events there sometimes, like the annual marathon, or some concerts etc.

There are talks of doing an ATP tournament there, they can fit three courts inside, and it is walking distance from the Athens Lawn Tennis Club which in the past has hosted ATP/WTA tournaments (in the 1980s and 1990s) and an ATP Challenger in 2008 and 2009, so they can use those courts as well.

:GBR manage to fend off 4 match points - including coming back from 0-40 down - to somehow see off :FRA in the doubles to top the group and qualify for Malaga :thumbup:

Cam Norrie has the rather dubious honour of being the only member of the GB squad that didn't record a win this week.

7 hours ago, hckošice said:

3) Tsitsipas is number 5 in the ranking, I think it says all about how great player he is, Respect to Greece for having such player. What would we give to have a player like him. People are weird sometime, do not pay so much attention for it. I mean, he came here to play for the country (he could easily refuse and spend some days off somewhere with his love instead) and people still find a way to bitch

Also I want to say, that after the match he stayed and gave autographs and took photos with everyone, he did not say no to anyone and also he secretly donated 100.000 euros for the disaster relief for the floods in Greece (which was later revealed by other sources). The floods also were very bad mainly in the area where his father was born and raised, which are his roots, and his ancestral town was affected very badly so I'm sure it was also personal for him.

He gets a lot of criticism and has made some mistakes but I believe he is a good person and a good representative of our country when there are not many of them who are famous worldwide (he is the third-most followed Greek on Instagram, not just from sports but in general - only Antetokounmpo and Tsimikas have more). Unfortunately, he is not always portrayed that way. They always find something to complain about, like how he has residency in Monte Carlo which is a huge scandal meanwhile Djokovic, Medvedev, Zverev and many other tennis players also do it and I wonder if they get the same criticism in their countries about it.

• 2 months later...