website statistics

Men's Tennis ITF Davis Cup 2023

Totallympics

12.000 fans came on Day 1 and 14.000 on Day 2 to see Greece beat Ecuador. We will now play Slovakia in September at home again. Hopefully it will be another win for us against @hckošice as we will then have beaten both of his countries, Ecuador and Slovakia :d

Also this was the most fans ever to a tennis match in Greece. The 2004 Olympics only had a capacity of 8.000. I think we can hopefully keep breaking the record, this arena seats about 19.000 although in September we will probably play outdoors at the 8.000 seat tennis stadium (the weather will be better, it was snowing during the matches with Ecuador so good thing we played indoors).

This was very important because for most people it was the first chance to see Tsitsipas, he has only played in Greece once since 2016 and that was Davis Cup at a very small venue with expensive tickets in 2019. This time tickets were easily available and very cheap, ranging from 10 euros to 30 euros.

Edited by Makedonas

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

12.000 fans came on Day 1 and 14.000 on Day 2 to see Greece beat Ecuador. We will now play Slovakia in September at home again. Hopefully it will be another win for us against @hckošice as we will then have beaten both of his countries, Ecuador and Slovakia :d

Also this was the most fans ever to a tennis match in Greece. The 2004 Olympics only had a capacity of 8.000. I think we can hopefully keep breaking the record, this arena seats about 19.000 although in September we will probably play outdoors at the 8.000 seat tennis stadium (the weather will be better, it was snowing during the matches with Ecuador so good thing we played indoors).

This was very important because for most people it was the first chance to see Tsitsipas, he has only played in Greece once since 2016 and that was Davis Cup at a very small venue with expensive tickets in 2019. This time tickets were easily available and very cheap, ranging from 10 euros to 30 euros.

Wil not be sad if you beat those bums, I am sad you beat Ecuador though :p

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Probably it will come down to doubles, Tsitsipas brothers would be slight favourites to win I guess.

Well if Tsitsipas play there no reason to even go to Greece, we can save some travel cost money by simple withdrawal :p

If Tsitsipas will not play for some reason, it could be in this case an open match for sure, but still our general away matches record is piss poor lately. We mostly relied on Polášek/Zelenay in doubles in last years and it worked perfectly for us and was the main reason why we quite regularly played the Top division despite lack of talent in the squad, but since Filip is currently still out, it does not matter so much, the chances are definitely below zero with or without Stefanos in Greece.

15 hours ago, hckošice said:

Well if Tsitsipas play there no reason to even go to Greece, we can save some travel cost money by simple withdrawal :p

If Tsitsipas will not play for some reason, it could be in this case an open match for sure, but still our general away matches record is piss poor lately. We mostly relied on Polášek/Zelenay in doubles in last years and it worked perfectly for us and was the main reason why we quite regularly played the Top division despite lack of talent in the squad, but since Filip is currently still out, it does not matter so much, the chances are definitely below zero with or without Stefanos in Greece.

That is not true, our team is very weak without Stefanos, only his brother is good at doubles but that's it, everyone else is ITF level (although the young Sakellaridis seems good and is moving up the rankings a lot, he needs more time to be at a top level).

Davis Cup will be between the US Open and Laver Cup (in Canada), so I'm not sure if Tsitsipas will go back and forth to North America from Europe, but he will face a lot of criticism in Greece if he does not play so for his image he will probably do it. Also it was announced today that the Panathenaic Stadium is a potential venue for this.

• 6 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, Makedonas said:

That is not true, our team is very weak without Stefanos, only his brother is good at doubles but that's it, everyone else is ITF level (although the young Sakellaridis seems good and is moving up the rankings a lot, he needs more time to be at a top level).

Davis Cup will be between the US Open and Laver Cup (in Canada), so I'm not sure if Tsitsipas will go back and forth to North America from Europe, but he will face a lot of criticism in Greece if he does not play so for his image he will probably do it. Also it was announced today that the Panathenaic Stadium is a potential venue for this.

Interesting to revisit this:

1. Sakellaridis improved so much and is now just outside the top 400, still only 18 yo but unfortunately not playing Davis Cup once again.

2. Tsitsipas is playing and going back to North America for Laver Cup. I wish more Greeks would appreciate the sacrifices he's made for the national teams, unlike certain basketball players who had the whole summer off and still don't play...

3. We are playing at the Panathenaic Stadium. @hckošiceAre you coming to Athens? :d

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

3. We are playing at the Panathenaic Stadium. @hckošiceAre you coming to Athens? :d

Definitely one of the places on my retirement trip-wish-list plan, but once I´ll do, pretty sure it will not to watch men playing tennis :p