website statistics

Weightlifting 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Bearas said:

:LAT Rebeka Koha (2 bronze medals in WCh) returned as :QAT Rebeka Salsabil Ibrahima by winning Qatar Cup and West Asian Championships.

Full sotry: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1132081/rebeka-back

i remember she married an Egyptian guy representing Qatar some time ago , maybe she changed her name because she converted to Islam 

let's begin the new year with some good doping news (still to be officially confirmed, but already processed).

:UKR coach Mykhaylo Matshoka got a life ban following the Dmytro Chumak's affair in 2021 (they tried to manipulate a doping control and then they even tried to bribe the WADA officials in charge of that control).

:PAK Taha Talib accepted a 3-year ban.

:GEO Anton Pliesnoi, bronze medallist in Tokyo in the men's -96kg class, has been suspended while under investigation (basically, it's only a question of when he'll get banned and for how long, not an "if").

• 5 months later...

Few more names are appearing on ITA website for doping issues

two guys from Turkey which will put them in danger + Antropov from Kazakhstan and Aminova from TKM. that will #2 for TKM too. both Antropov and teenager Aminova won silver in the recent Asian Championships in Korea.

what's interesting about Kazakhstan is that they never stop doing it. they deserve credit for their determination :d Antropov was famous for his heavy CJ lifts.

• 3 weeks later...

both of our "famous" weightlifters are officially out of Paris.

Kianoush Rostami acted like a jerk as usual and didn't participate in our preliminary trials. therefore the federation claims he is 100% out of the World Championships in Riyadh and therefore out of Paris 2024. he does these things all the time but looks like the new federation is not going to let him get a pass this time.

and most importantly Sohrab Moradi announced retirement today after failing his first two attempts in the trials. probably that was when he finally realized his body simply can't handle it anymore. :( he could and should have another Olympic gold in Tokyo if it wasn't for that weird Qualification system. despite breaking the WR inside the qualification period he failed to quality. :hairpull: he had to participate in some events despite not being ready and re-injured himself few times in the process. (back and shoulder)

he won all 3 big titles (Asian Games, World Champs and Olympics) but he could win much more. nobody will touch his 96kg World Record anytime soon. I doubt even 102kg guys can reach it in Paris. he was also a very nice guy (the exact opposite of Rostami)

Kazakhstan on fire

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1138605/kazakhstan-weightlifting-doping-scandal

I'm a bit confused here. the article says these guys got caught by the Kazakh national anti-doping agency but then they are on the ITA list too. as far as I know if a doper gets caught by his own country that has nothing to do with ITA and that won't be counted for possible suspension of the national federation.

so how is that ? they got caught by both ITA and Kazakh NADO ? 

btw I also can see a 3rd positive test for Turkmenistan on ITA list which means they are very close to get banned from the Olympics too.

I usually don't feel good about banning a country completely over few of positive doping tests. that will hurt clean athletes too but they have to do something about Kazakhstan , they simply never learn and never change, they keep sending generation after generation of dopers to the competitions. I don't know what they expect? WADA/ITA getting tired of them and give up ? :d

26 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Kazakhstan on fire

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1138605/kazakhstan-weightlifting-doping-scandal

I'm a bit confused here. the article says these guys got caught by the Kazakh national anti-doping agency but then they are on the ITA list too. as far as I know if a doper gets caught by his own country that has nothing to do with ITA and that won't be counted for possible suspension of the national federation.

so how is that ? they got caught by both ITA and Kazakh NADO ? 

btw I also can see a 3rd positive test for Turkmenistan on ITA list which means they are very close to get banned from the Olympics too.

I usually don't feel good about banning a country completely over few of positive doping tests. that will hurt clean athletes too but they have to do something about Kazakhstan , they simply never learn and never change, they keep sending generation after generation of dopers to the competitions. I don't know what they expect? WADA/ITA getting tired of them and give up ? :d

I agree, banning nations is rarely the answer. At this point for Kazakhstan it's not a few bad apples there is something bigger going on. If it is at the coach level then the federation needs to start banning them. If it is at the federation level then this is one of the few instances where a ban is justified.

46 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I agree, banning nations is rarely the answer.

Although, any country registering multiple failed drug tests after a doping scandal that eviscerated the sport’s credibility is not a good look either. Federations and other bodies have walk that line between too harsh and too generous when it comes to stuff like this. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela