website statistics

Swimming 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 6/27/2023 at 10:44 PM, NMQ said:

Otoh, the expected comeback of Dressel was not good with a 29th place in the 100 FR. I guess the goal is Paris if he is on for it, but not so sure why is he racing here if he is not in good form.

I'm assuming the reason why Dressel is here is because he's trying to get some races in. And yesterday, good to see him showing some signs of form placing 3rd in the 50FL. Today, he placed 9th in prelims in the 100FL, but Murph scratched and now Dressel is into the A-Final. It's looking increasingly likely for Liendo to win the event at Worlds, the only other contender for gold (As Milak isn't competing, and Dressel/Casas aren't in good form) is Grousset. Really hoping he can make the team, and start to regain his form quickly, he's one of my favorite swimmers so it sucks to see him struggling. 

Edited by Josh

On 6/28/2023 at 2:57 AM, OlympicsFan said:

I think the US might be even more dominant in the future than they are right now. On both sides they have multiple „freak talents“.

Men: Heilman, Winkler, Casas, Foster, Williamson, Diehl …

Women: Douglass, Walsh, Sims, Grimes, Weinstein, Hayes, Curzan, Huske, Jacoby, Smith …

Also interesting to „finally“ see an American teen phenom in the longer freestyle events on the men’s side. Recently the track record of teen phenoms in those events hasn’t been great (Grgic, Galossi). I guess as a Canadian you are probably hoping for a Mijatovic vs. Kim rivalry?

Well of course I would love to see a Canadian doing well :d Both of them [Kim/Mijatovic] have been breaking age-group NAGs left and right, and if their success continues into their senior years, it'll make for some great battles at the World Champs/Olympics. 

BTW Forgot to mention Kayla Han, and Kaii Winkler. (There's almost certainly more, but can't think of any off the top of my head.)

Highlights from Day 3 at the USA Swim Trials

Torri Huske 56.11 W 100FL (WL)

Dare Rose 50.74 M 100FL 

Thomas Heilman 51.19 M 100FL (0.09 off Phelps 17-18 NAG)

Lily King 29.77 W 50BR

Lydia Jacoby 29.81 W 50BR

Katharine Berkoff 27.13 W 50BK (0.01 off her AR)

Regan Smith 27.14 W 50BK

Justin Ress 24.10 M 50BK

Hunter Armstrong 24.16 M 50BK

Edited by Josh

Highlights from Day 4 at the USA Swim Trials

Lilly King 1:04.75 W 100BR (#9 Performance All-Time*)

Lydia Jacoby 1:05.16 W 100BR (#28 Performance All-Time*)

Kaitlyn Dobler 1:05.48 W 100 BR (#17 Performer All-Time)

Nic Fink 58.36 M 100BR (Remains as #7 Performer All-Time, also setting a new PB by 0.01)

Regan Smith 57.71 W 100BK (#9 Performance All-Time)

Katharine Berkoff 58.01 W 100BK (#5 Performer All-Time)

Luka Mijatovic 3:53.19 M 400FR (Smashing his own 13-14 NAG, which was previously the 3:55.74 he clocked in prelims. Prior to that Mijatovic's record stood at a 3:56.36, which he set in April 2023)

*According to my calculations, don't quote me on them. 

Edited by Josh

Highlights from Day 5 at the USA Swim Trials

Katie Ledecky 15:29.64 W 1500FR (#6 Performance All-Time)

Kate Douglass 2:07.09 W 200IM (#6 Performer All-Time)

Alex Walsh 2:07.89 W 200IM (#26 Performance All-Time)

Carson Foster 1:56.19 M 200IM 

Bobby Finke 7:40.34 M 800FR (WL, and #13 Performance All-Time)

Abbey Weitzeil 24.00 W 50FR (#13 Performer All-Time)

Gretchen Walsh 24.31 W 50FR

Ryan Held 21.50 M 50FR

Luka Mijatovic 8:02.44 M 800FR (Yet another 13-14 NAG, this time it was 5.52s faster then his previous record)

Patiently waiting for a European junior championships thread :p

Lithuanian team this year is massive! 19 swimmers, starting in all of the relays.

Plytnykaitė has nr. 1 entry time in 100m Free, so she is our likeliest medal chance in this competition. 

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Patiently waiting for a European junior championships thread :p

Lithuanian team this year is massive! 19 swimmers, starting in all of the relays.

Plytnykaitė has nr. 1 entry time in 100m Free, so she is our likeliest medal chance in this competition. 

I don't think it's necessary

we can write about it here, in this thread. ;)

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't think it's necessary

we can write about it here, in this thread. ;)

Well, since you're here. How do you feel that they screwed up the Italian flag in the protocols? :p