website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

Just got home after a long day trip.  Watched the 4x200 relay, pretty disappointed.  China really came out of nowhere there, huh?  Hopefully they can make up for it in the women's medley. 

Disappointment in rowing, too.  I thought both singles had good shots at making the finals, but in the end they weren't even close. A bronze is nice, though.  

Two more 4ths!  Man, once they start handing out medals for 4th Canada will take over the world.  Just kidding, then they'll get a bunch of 5ths instead.  

Hoping for good results in the pool tonight, not much else going on.  Still a chance for Shady in Judo, though.    

20 minutes ago, NearPup said:

In women's rugby 7s Canada lost to :FIJ 26-12... this is extremely ominous.

They should have won, but it's not the end of the world.  They beat the French in 2016 in the quarters, and should beat them tomorrow.  Remember, Canada lost to GB in the groups in 2016 and then beat them for the bronze later on.  Not panicking yet.  

16 minutes ago, james89 said:

Shady is in the bronze medal bout. 

Well it'll be an uphill battle against the two time world champion Jorge Fonseca - although he was clearly having an issue with his thumb and looked a bit off in the semi.

13 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Any info on Canada's start list for the mixed relay tonight?  

Acevedo, Mastromatteo, Savard and Smith - not sure they are trying too hard with it but I hope they make the final.

11 minutes ago, james89 said:

Acevedo, Mastromatteo, Savard and Smith - not sure they are trying too hard with it but I hope they make the final.

Well I guess Acevedo has to swim at some point. Seems like a relatively weak lineup, I don't see anyone other than Mastromatteo even having a chance of swimming the finals should Canada qualify.

My speculation is that they are going MMFF, which is the best order, and that the finals lineup should they get there will be Liendo, Mastromatteo, MacNeal and Oleksiak.

I guess K. Smith will swim breaststroke in the women's medley heats (otherwise all women's relays get DQed).

Edit: Thormeyer, not Liendo. Not sure why I thought Liendo won trials in the 100m back...

Just now, NearPup said:

Well I guess Acevedo has to swim at some point.

I guess K. Smith will swim breaststroke in the women's medley (otherwise all women's relays get DQed).

K. Smith swam the individual event so she doesn't need to swim the medley...that being said the options for the breast aren't great.

1 minute ago, james89 said:

K. Smith swam the individual event so she doesn't need to swim the medley...that being said the options for the breast aren't great.

My understanding is that it depends if she got to enter the individual event only because she was a relay swimmer already or because she got a FINA B invite. IIRC relay only swimmers can enter individual events where they have the B cut.