website statistics

African Games 2019

Totallympics

I’m joining in a little late, but I just got out of class for the day :d. Ready for a fun ceremony

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

This ceremony’s going old school. All the time teams are lining up in rows on the field. It reminds me of footage for the early Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, bestmen said:

There is no show , only one banal parade 

The show is at the end. Just like the last edition

I could do some really flattering commentary for the athletes parade. “Here comes a country that’s president less for half the year” “Ah here comes the country with the biggest Ebola outbreak” “These athletes are here despite the unrest in their home over their presidents effort to end a long standing democracy” “There’s been a lot issues of race lately, but theses athletes are here compete” “this country is going through an extreme famine currently”. It’s a good thing the Olympic Channel hasn’t hired me yet :p

Disclaimer: Yes, I’m aware of the serious issues that cause these events in Africa, but I find joking and talking about them one way of raising awareness internationally

Just now, bestmen said:

Sudan & south Sudan together just like Koreans :lol:

At least the Koreans didn’t go to war over ethnic differences, force their countries into famine, make a new country, and then start a civil war in said new country.

South Sudan has not won a medal at the African Games yet.

I like that they show a sign language interpreter on the screen. A nice little touch for incl:yesusion