website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Didn’t write it :p. The articles are provided by the OIS (Olympic Information Service). For the record, I wouldn’t have written something like that. Thank you for the feedback though. I love knowing that my work isn’t for nothing.

Oh wait, I thought you were writing the articles :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Didn’t write it :p. The articles are provided by the OIS (Olympic Information Service). For the record, I wouldn’t have written something like that. Thank you for the feedback though. I love knowing that my work isn’t for nothing.

But it's legal? There isn't any copyright? :mumble:

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

2 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

But it's legal? There isn't any copyright? :mumble:

@heywoodu I’ve been both writing and using pre-written articles. The Best Photos Of articles are put together by me (I comb through all the 500-1000 photos taken each day and choose the best 24ish). I wouldn’t use the pre-written articles, but I didn’t really have a choice. You have to remember that you’re using this as a learning experience, and so I’ve probably been more than I should. Ever day I publish articles, run a live blog, record and edit a podcast, remake the results books using my own formula (which is better than there’s). The reason I put all the OIS articles on our website, so that there’s a place for everyone to read them, and easily navigate using the tags. 

The articles provided by OIS are fair-use.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The fact that you can’t tell the difference between the two is a a great sign for my reporting. The OIS journalists are some of the most qualified writers, so your confusion means a lot to me :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The fact that you can’t tell the difference between the two is a a great sign for my reporting. The OIS journalists are some of the most qualified writers, so your confusion means a lot to me :d

They often have a weird mix of being really in-depth (with stuff like the interviews) and also having a general vibe of not really following a sport or knowing much about it (like even mentioning the points in the mass starts) :p I missed it, but are they the kind of people who say "Skier X won the slalom with a combined time of 1:20.65"? Dutch media often does that, even though the actual times in alpine skiing just are a complete waste of effort to mention, only the differences between athletes matter.... :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

They often have a weird mix of being really in-depth (with stuff like the interviews) and also having a general vibe of not really following a sport or knowing much about it (like even mentioning the points in the mass starts) :p I missed it, but are they the kind of people who say "Skier X won the slalom with a combined time of 1:20.65"? Dutch media often does that, even though the actual times in alpine skiing just are a complete waste of effort to mention, only the differences between athletes matter.... :d 

I do that with Alpine Skiing as well. As a journalist, my job is to give information. I’d generally follow it up with the times of the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th/5th skiers for comparison of course. 

The OIS articles are assembled by multiple journalists (generally 3/4). One collects interviews, one writes, one chooses photos and edits the articles.

@heywoodu Really, the point of me posting the OIS articles is just trying to help you guys find the most relevant information (all in one place), and to give you more options of following the games besides streaming, results, our podcast, our blog, etc. 

Myself and @Vojthas have been incredibly busy over the last 7 (now 8) days, so we really appreciate knowing that you guys find what we do helpful/interesting. We have high hopes for Totallympics Media (especially as we move towards the end of our first year), but it can be hard with only two “full-time” journalists working. I’m lucky to be off school right now, so I have to time to help run the updating blog, record/edit/produce the podcast, write and post articles, give live trivia reminders, post things on the forum, and create results books. However, @Vojthas is also running the updating blog, helping record the podcast (come up with various segments), run the prediction contest, give live trivia reminders and do other little things here there; all on top of going to work everyday.

Edited by Olympian1010

45 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I do that with Alpine Skiing as well. As a journalist, my job is to give information. I’d generally follow it up with the times of the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th/5th skiers for comparison of course. 

The OIS articles are assembled by multiple journalists (generally 3/4). One collects interviews, one writes, one chooses photos and edits the articles.

You can save time and come across as more informed/into the sport by only mentioning the differences. The actual times only matter in sports like speed skating, swimming, athletics and so on, in biathlon, cross-country skiing, road cycling and whatnot they are useless :p

In by now thousands of articles, I don't think I've mentioned them even once in sports where they are meaningless :d

By the way, this is all meant as constructive feedback, not as negative criticism or something, just to be clear. 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, this is all meant as constructive feedback, not as negative criticism or something, just to be clear. 

No, this is great. It means you have an interest in what we’re doing, and that makes us very happy ?