website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior & Youth World Championships 2019

Totallympics

We often forget how many outside factors actually impact the athletes that we see on TV, one of the biggest factors why it is difficult to see a stable progression from junior-to-senior is the unexpected thing that we call life.

Some athletes don't have good training conditions (especially in smaller Biathlon nations, it is easier to win with talent when you are younger, but senior level is all about infrastructure)

Some athletes are full time government supported athletes, other athletes support themselves or their families with additional jobs, leaving them with less energy or less frequent training

Some great athletes are stopped by multiple injuries, they miss seasons of training etc.

Some athletes lose motivation, we have to remember that we're talking about young indecisive people. I am 24 and I still sometimes have no idea what I am doing and here we are talking about 20-22 year olds at university.

Training staff - some training staff can bring the best out of their athletes, some just have a reputation of not producing the best from their athletes. Best example: Sweden under Pichler and how atrociously bad Sweden was without Pichler.

And these are only some of the factors, there are a lot more, because every single journey is different and every single problem affects every individual in different ways.

20 minutes ago, Werloc said:

She was on her way towards good results, but she missed an entire season, I assume to injury?

Edit: as for showing talent, it is a positive thing for most athletes, but quite detrimental to some. When you easily beat everyone around your age and are immediately thrust into senior environment with 70th-80th places, some people are motivated through it and some people don't work hard enough and quit.

Sloof missed a season due to, surprise, mono. She was in rather good shape in Arber though, there's hope.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Sloof missed a season due to, surprise, mono. She was in rather good shape in Arber though, there's hope.

Sweden is very strict with their team this year. They gave Hogberg and Andersson one chance this year even though they have been breezing through the ibu cup this season. I still think that Hogberg would be a better bet than Nilsson and perhaps Magnusson as well.

30 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Sweden is very strict with their team this year. They gave Hogberg and Andersson one chance this year even though they have been breezing through the ibu cup this season. I still think that Hogberg would be a better bet than Nilsson and perhaps Magnusson as well.

They absolutely need to be given more chances, yes.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!