website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

45 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

Portugal? Mediterranean ? ..personally I always think that Portugal belongs to Mediterranean culture and ethnic group so I am happy with that but geographically :POR is not a Mediterranean country!

also :KOS is a landlocked country

both participated before but as a host city not being on Mediterranean is a bit strange!

It's more something about Mediterranan culture, it isn't a geographic things only. Portugal is a latin country and their society is strongly connect with the Mediterranan one.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@hckošice Slovakian officials met with the CEO and Winter Games Director of the FISU. No mention of a bid, but it seems odd to have a random meeting like this. (Not that those don’t happen for various reasons)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 9/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, Gianlu33 said:

It's more something about Mediterranan culture, it isn't a geographic things only. Portugal is a latin country and their society is strongly connect with the Mediterranan one.

As I understand it, all post-yugoslav nations are allowed to enter in right of the former Yugoslavia.

Wonder why the northern European Countries don't have something like this based around the 'northern seas - North Sea, Baltic, north Atlantic and Arctic?

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@hckošice Slovakian officials met with the CEO and Winter Games Director of the FISU. No mention of a bid, but it seems odd to have a random meeting like this. (Not that those don’t happen for various reasons)

Interesting. Did not notice any news about this in NOC´s site, where they always daily mention every single visit or business trip of the Mr. President and his Mr. Secretery General :p. So, who knows what that mean and wheteher something is being cooked ?

Honestly I wouldn´t be surprised at all if we showed interest in organizing the winter universiade, for example. The winter version of the Universiade is quite popular in our country, moreover, we have experience in hosting it and our venues / infrastructures are sufficient for this level of competitions.

Edited by hckošice

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

As I understand it, all post-yugoslav nations are allowed to enter in right of the former Yugoslavia.

Wonder why the northern European Countries don't have something like this based around the 'northern seas - North Sea, Baltic, north Atlantic and Arctic?

Artic have their own winter games, Baltic have some events too 

20 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Artic have their own winter games

The Arctic Winter Games mostly a North America team. The Sami are the active delegation outside the continent.

There was an effort to hold a “Black Sea Games.” However, there was only ever one edition (2009). @mpjmcevoy

Europe and Africa don’t really do sub-regional multi-sport games like Pan America and Asia. Africa is likely limited by logistics, while Europe seems to be caught up in traditional continent-wide competitions.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Curling Mixed Doubles added to the program of the next Winter University Games.

I think this topic is the best for this news.

Members of the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF) have approved the final steps in the liquidation of the organisation 

https://gaisf.sport/extraordinary-general-assembly-approves-the-final-liquidation-of-gaisf/

Edited by Dmitry