website statistics

Canada's 2024 Olympics Qualification Discussion Road to Paris 2024

Gracenote projection now has us finishing with 6 golds and 20 total medals now :lol:

Ridiculous. 

They have Katzberg winning silver though so I can’t really take them seriously. 

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Gracenote projection now has us finishing with 6 golds and 20 total medals now :lol:

Ridiculous. 

Gracenote does often under predict Canadians so I'm not surprised - but 4 swimming medals would indeed be a flop. 

Posted (edited)

There’s a couple of things that I picked up on from the article. 1. McIntosh likely won’t be competing in either of the 4x100m freestyle relay or the 4x100m medley relay. OK, the 4x100m freestyle relay is possible, but there’s not much of a gap between her and the other four women (MSH, Oleksiak, MacNeil, Ruck) and the coaches would be dumb to wear her out even more for her individual events and the 4x200m freestyle relay. 2. They say LePage is injured and might not be at his best, which sort of makes sense, but why would he put that meme on the last slide of his recent Instagram post then?

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, Josh said:

There’s a couple of things that I picked up on from the article. 1. McIntosh likely won’t be competing in either of the 4x100m freestyle relay or the 4x100m medley relay. OK, the 4x100m freestyle relay is possible, but there’s not much of a gap between her and the other four women (MSH, Oleksiak, MacNeil, Ruck) and the coaches would be dumb to wear her out even more for her individual events and the 4x200m freestyle relay. 2. They say LePage is injured and might not be at his best, which sort of makes sense, but why would he put that meme on the last slide of his recent Instagram post then?

I think the article really has no idea what’s going on with him. So they are just guessing.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

Ridiculous. 

I wonder who they predicted to win gold? :mumble: All the recent data points to Katzberg being the favourite. Nowicki is the only other person I can think of.

On 6/20/2024 at 7:50 PM, Josh said:

Early July I’ll (hopefully*) be doing a rundown of Canada’s Olympic qualification period! :cheer:

Couple of weeks before the games begin, I’ll also (hopefully*) be doing a Canadian Olympic preview, including listing all the various medal chances, and making predictions of my own. 

* Might not have enough time, with all the sporting events I watch, and all of the other stuff I do but we’ll see. 

Just started the Canadian Olympic qualification overview earlier today. :yesShould be out on this thread anywhere from Thursday to Saturday, potentially earlier/later though (really depends on how fast I can get it done)

Medal overview should be out by at least July 21, but again could be out earlier/later (at the very least July 23)

I’m curious. Who are your picks for Canada’s opening ceremony flag bearers at the Olympics? All athletes that compete the next day are pretty much ruled out (ex McIntosh, Oleksiak, and especially SGA as their first match is hundreds of miles away) and of course there’s some that aren’t even in the Olympic village. 

For the women, I think it’ll be Ellie Black. Not sure about the men, maybe one of our judoka or volleyball players?

25 minutes ago, Josh said:

I’m curious. Who are your picks for Canada’s opening ceremony flag bearers at the Olympics? All athletes that compete the next day are pretty much ruled out (ex McIntosh, Oleksiak, and especially SGA as their first match is hundreds of miles away) and of course there’s some that aren’t even in the Olympic village. 

For the women, I think it’ll be Ellie Black. Not sure about the men, maybe one of our judoka or volleyball players?

I thought it would be Maude Charron till I remembered she was the flag bearer at the Commonwealth Games. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Josh said:

Good question. 

After Tokyo I was thinking Oleksiak and De Grasse. As we tend to give legends the honour at the Opening, and being our most decorated Summer Olympians of each gender, and probably the last game for each. 

But with Oleksiak barely making the team, and not even sure if De Grasse will be there yet. Some alternatives, Maggie MacNeil, Kylie Masse, Jessie Fleming, Ellie Black for the ladies... and Evan Dunfee, Damian Warner, Nick Hoag or SGA for the men. We don't have a lot of guys outside track who quite qualify as legendary currently after thinking about it

Edited by JockCartier

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JockCartier said:

Good question. 

After Tokyo I was thinking Oleksiak and De Grasse. As we tend to give legends the honour at the Opening, and being our most decorated Summer Olympians of each gender, and probably the last game for each. 

But with Oleksiak barely making the team, and not even sure if De Grasse will be there yet. Some alternatives, Maggie MacNeil, Kylie Masse, Jessie Fleming, Ellie Black for the ladies... and Evan Dunfee, Damian Warner, Nick Hoag or SGA for the men. We don't have a lot of guys outside track who quite qualify as legendary currently after thinking about it

Dunfee, DeGrasse, and Warner likely won’t be in the Olympic village until later on. Oleksiak and MacNeil will both compete the day after (and with a late opening ceremony might choose to skip it in order to prepare), Liendo, McIntosh, and SGA hundreds of miles away in Lille. Fleming and Black are options for the women, but not sure who they’d go with for the men. Hoag is a solid pick, maybe Margelidon/Gauthier Drapeau will be considered as well?

Welcome to Totallympics by the way :hatoff:

Edited by Josh