website statistics

Athletics Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It looks like we may go over the 2005 athlete limit set by IAAF. Even ignoring relay only athletes and Russia we're already around the max. I know the larger nations have additional requirements so the real number is lower, but once you add wild cards and relay only athletes plus last minute qualifiers it doesn't look like they will finish at or below the number, especially if Russia is let back in.

I wonder if the IOC will do anything about

That would be just cruel. And I very much doubt it will happen.

IOC would basically have to say to athletes three weeks before Olympics that they can't go because too many qualified. Not to mention that small nations would be the victims.

#banbestmen

Il y a 3 heures , JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

It looks like we may go over the 2005 athlete limit set by IAAF. Even ignoring relay only athletes and Russia we're already around the max. I know the larger nations have additional requirements so the real number is lower, but once you add wild cards and relay only athletes plus last minute qualifiers it doesn't look like they will finish at or below the number, especially if Russia is let back in.

I wonder if the IOC will do anything about

Probably nothing that time, but maybe we might see IOC and IAAF moving to a fixed number of athletes by event more akin to other sport for future games (droping standards basically) ?

Coe was allready admiting after the London Games that they had too many athletes qualified.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to just use a system where the Top-X athletes in event Y qualify a quota place (with of course the usual maximum number of athletes per nation per event)?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

IAAF could have avoided this if they made their standards harder and added the next highest ranked athletes if needed like in swimming (in fact that's pretty much what is said in the qualification document). Do we really need almost 200 runners in both marathons?

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

IAAF could have avoided this if they made their standards harder and added the next highest ranked athletes if needed like in swimming (in fact that's pretty much what is said in the qualification document). Do we really need almost 200 runners in both marathons?

No, we really do not. 100 is more than enough if you ask me. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Today was the best Ukrainian national championship ever for me, the most intense in my life.

3 athletes jumped past 8 m in men's long jump. Serhiy Nykyforov 8.18 (wind assisted +2.2 m/s, 8.11 is legit), 8.11 for Taras Neledva (wind assisted) and 8.05 for Viktor Kuznetsov.

Women's 400 m

:UKR Olha Bibik - 51.69

:UKR Yuliya Olishevska - 51.70

:UKR Tetiana Melnyk - 51.92

Women's High Jump

:UKR Yulia Levchenko - 1.95 (U23 NR from the 1st attempt, she's 18 years old :d)

Oksana Okuneva improved her standard to 1.97 :clap:

Georgian athlete Valentina Lyashenko almost cleared 1.93 ... she missed it just by a little.

Women's Long Jump

:UKR Maryna Bekh - 6.93 :yikes:

(not something unexpected though, she was close to the standard pretty often and FINALLY... + attempts on 6.88 & 6.80)

:UKR Oxana Zubkovska - 6.70

:UKR Anna Kornuta - 6.70

Kornuta lost her guaranteed spot in the Olympic team by the number of better attempts. Very dramatic!

Anna Lunyova jumped 6.63. Hryshytyna (she's got a standard already) jumped 6.62 so the battle for the 3rd place between them is not over until the end of  July.

7 new standards :cool: during the 2nd day. Crazy results. I hope the next 2 days will be as exciting as today.

ps. Nataliya Pohrebniak (100 m) became the winner with 11.11 with -2.2 m/s headwind.

Edited by Xander

On 16/06/2016 at 10:32, Xander said:

Oleksandr Dryhol chose Israel + he's not in the NCH start list so it's 100% that he won't represent Ukraine. I have no info whether he's on "quarantine". But our federations are on good terms so he can appear in Israeli team at the Olympics :d

As for events where more than 3 athletes have got the Olympic standard only gold and silver guarantee a place in the Olympic team. The rest 2 athletes (or more) will be judged by the trainers council.

Our NCH is open for everyone so we will see many athletes (from the other countries) who are close to achieving the standard.

If Levchenko gains the standard in high jump there will be 4 Ukrainian competitors and none of them can feel safe, because everybody has a real chances to clear 1.93 and higher. + esp gonna cheer for the guest high jumpers: :GEO Valentina Lyashenko and :IND Kumari Sahana. Go, girls! :cheer:

Except Georgia & India, there're Uzbekistan, Belarus, Turkey, Venezuela, Israel & Moldova. Including Belarusian Olympic (2004) champion in 100m.

Link to the event page please. Is the event where Sahana Kumari from India participating a olympic qualification event?