website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

22 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing are now considered to be core sports

My only problem with sports climbing is there's not enough 'splitting' of the events - it absolutely belongs.

I find the park skateboarding fun as a kind of BMX Freestyle on foot

i do not see the point in 'artistic' surfing as a 'sport; for the life of me - I'm sure it's amazing to do - so's bunjee jumping but it ain't sport. Yet.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are very few Olympic arguments that boil my blood as much as “x isn’t a sport.” Mainly because I don’t actually think the Olympics should be solely about sport, but also because it’s insulting to athletes/competitors who work very hard to be the best at what they do. Personally, I believe there should be room for mind sports, artistic competition, and maybe even e-sports. 

The Olympics, in ancient times, were meant to be a celebration of humanity. There were sporting and artistic competitions. It was also a time to exchange social/political ideas. People gathered to celebrate many aspects of Hellenic life. I think the modern ideal of the Olympics as a purely sporting competition meant for only the “best of the best” loses sight of what the Games are supposed to be about. The Olympics should be world championships, Cannes/TIFF/Sundance, Glastonbury/Coachella, The World’s Fair, International peace summit, etc. mixed into one.

It’s a pipe dream of mine, but I do think the focus on elite sport has detracted from some of the more charming/eloquent aspects of the Olympics. 

Cricket, modern pentathlon, breaking, etc. all add something to the event even if you don’t personally enjoy them. The Olympics are fun because of the diversity of sports offered. I don’t think we should lose sight of that during all our deliberations in this thread. 

The Olympics also used to be all men in the nude, and religious. Shit changes. today, it's specifically a sports event, and about sport, and the value of sport.

Would there be something to be said for similar Games involving art, dance, music? absolutely - and recall, the Olympics was only one of four ancient Hellenic Games (and I don't even think that includes the women's Herean Games) - why not 'resurrect' another ancient Hellenic Games specifically for the arts?

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh boy. Judging by the amount of times I've seen 'cricket' while scrolling through the past pages, I have a feeling.... :p 

Well, if cricket isn't in 2028 some very important newspapers are going to look very, very stupid

8 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The Olympics also used to be all men in the nude, and religious. Shit changes. today, it's specifically a sports event, and about sport, and the value of sport.

Would there be something to be said for similar Games involving art, dance, music? absolutely - and recall, the Olympics was only one of four ancient Hellenic Games (and I don't even think that includes the women's Herean Games) - why not 'resurrect' another ancient Hellenic Games specifically for the arts?

Bring back the Pythian Games!

Maybe Sindo can set up www.totalythian.com in the future?

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Bring back the Pythian Games!

Maybe Sindo can set up www.totalythian.com in the future?

Be great. Imagine following the qualifications in the Flute!

Men's solo

Women's solo

Men's solo picollo

Women's solo picollo

Men's pair

Men's uneven pair (big flute and a picollo)....

Women's pair

Women's uneven pair

Mixed trio...

And then the violins...

All the dance sport addicts could go there, along with the Rhythmic gymnasts and the artistic swimming

I might rock u for Ireland in the Sprint Pottery

And finally, the Eurovision song contest, but global...

"and now, the votes of the Nepalese jury...

Djibouti, 1 point. Djiboutie une point, "

It will be magic.

6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Be great. Imagine following the qualifications in the Flute!

Men's solo

Women's solo

Men's solo picollo

Women's solo picollo

Men's pair

Men's uneven pair (big flute and a picollo)....

Women's pair

Women's uneven pair

Mixed trio...

And then the violins...

All the dance sport addicts could go there, along with the Rhythmic gymnasts and the artistic swimming

I might rock u for Ireland in the Sprint Pottery

And finally, the Eurovision song contest, but global...

"and now, the votes of the Nepalese jury...

Djibouti, 1 point. Djiboutie une point, "

It will be magic.

Basically you're talking an eisteddfod here? :bye:

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Maybe Bach, just like me has just been informed  "hey boss, we have a problem ! just googled and apparently this is not cricket !"

web_Landscaping.jpg.optimal.jpg