website statistics

Boxing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

Two confirmed reallocations of two Asian games quotas, both related to doping violations.

M63.5kg- Chinzorig Baatarsukh :MGL tested positive for an anabolic steroid at Asian games, Quota gets reallocated to beaten semi-finalist Bunjong Sinsiri :THA who Thailand interestingly hadn't selected for the 1st world qualifying tournament although he is definitely a worthy olympian.

W57kg- Parveen :IND suspended for a whereabouts violation, Reallocation goes to beaten quarter finalist Sitora Turdibekova :UZB which means Uzbekistan now have ten quotas with a reasonable shot of adding to it next week.

Both Mongolia and India will contest the respective weightclasses at the second world olympic qualifier although Mongolia is replacing Baatarsukh with two time Olympic quarter finalist and 2019 world medallist Erdenebat Tsendbaatar :MGL.

Also somewhat unrelated but according to an article on the French federation's website, the Olympic draw just like the qualifying tournaments will not be seeded which is gauranteed to lead to some interesting medal winners.

• 5 weeks later...

https://afbc-boxing.com/en/2024/06/19/the-22-african-boxers-qualified-for-the-paris-2024-olympic-games/

Source for African universality spots

W50kg- Margret Tembo :ZAM

W57kg- Marine Camara  :MLI

W66kg- Ivanusa Moreira :CPV

W75kg!!!- Rady Gramane :MOZ

M71kg- Tiago Muxanga :MOZ.

Additionally according to the Tongan boxing federation's facebook

W60kg-Feofaaki Epenisa :TGA.

Most notable thing is Rady Gramane because there wasn't orignally a universality quota available at W75kg but clearly one has been created as a consequence of Cindy Ngamba qualifying directly. Zambia, Cape Verde and Mozambique all take universality quotas but at least on the womens side W50kg was the only one with other realistic options with the likes of Haiti and Nepal but perhaps they are covered in the 3 currently unknown quotas. (Having now looked through them I'm dissapointed why this wasn't Susma Tamang :NEP as I don't think Nepal are realistically getting one of these quotas and I thought they had aquitted themseleves well in qualifying.) Tiago Muxanga is a good boxer but there were plenty of other options at M71kg. I was hoping for Nidal Foqahaa :PLE or despite DR Congo already having two quotas I would have loved Steve Kulengeluka :COD to get this spot after being robbed of the African quota. Makes me think they decided on Muxanga and then at a later point had to allocate a quota at W75kg and had no other realistically competitive options other than to give it to Gramane. Then again, while from an Olympic competition standpoint Moreira and Gramane are undisputedely the right options giving Gramane who qualified directly for Tokyo and Ivanusa Moreira who reached winnable quota fights at both of the world qualifying tournaments isn't ideal and I dont love either of them getting the safety net of a universality quota as that shouldn't really be what they exist for even if they do come from underrepresented nations they both had their chances of qualifying and failed plus both countries had qualified boxers for this Olympics.

Anyway speculating on the last couple of spots I would be surprised if Asian bronze medallist Ali Qasim Al Sarray :IRQ didn't get the M63.5kg spot, only other real non African option I can see in that division is Samuel Contreras :ESA (At a stretch possibly Alston Ryan :ANT) but I supect the Americas are getting one universality spot and its probably either Cedrick Belony Duliepre :HAI or Desmond Amsterdam :GUY at M80kg. That would just leave M57kg which could be Allan Oaike :PNG but there are plenty of options.