website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
hace 6 horas, heywoodu dijo:

with exceptions for countries that don't allow someone to give up their nationality (which I think is a bit of a weird thing, not allowing someone to give up a nationality).

Argentina is an example  of that.  

I think your queen had to be granted an exception back in the day to resign to it (or I vaguely remember something like that).

Ps. We allow dual citizenship however.

hace 2 horas, Federer91 dijo:

I just started season 5 of Breaking Bad and if it's right that it's the best of them all, i'm in for a real threat. :thumbup:  It is indeed a top-notch show. Not in my top 5 of all time, but it is up there in the conversation. I enjoy the slow build, it adds more depth to the story.

Season 5 isn't really the best one (the nazis are stupid), but the final episodes are great.

hace 27 minutos, heywoodu dijo:

That has never bothered me for a single moment, since there are no actual commercials and all that happens is it just moving to the next scene.

Anyway, I wasn't here for an entire analysis of 2019 vs 2018 vs pre-2017 and whatever (I like shows or I don't like shows, period), I wanted to know if Breaking Bad gets better after episode one or not. That's all :p 

Yes.

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted (edited)
hace 44 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

I never understood what people had against it. There are very few films that push the boundaries of the human mind more than that one, and the other films that have are now well loved cult “classics” (Inception, Interstellar).

I think it lacks "action" compared to those and that's why it isn't so popular. I also think the characters in those other films were more charismatic or memorable. In terms of how the science, psychology, philosophy, etc. themes were used, Arrival was better IMO.

Edited by LDOG

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted
hace 23 minutos, konig dijo:

I agree with you but its impossible, in this part of the world the politics is more important than any other thing and is not the first time that the stadistics of something is manipulated.

Google "coronavirus malbran". Stop posting nonsense.

Posted

We start total lockdown from here to the end of March. Only vital services and food business remain open. The rest of the people can't leave their house except to go buy goods in nearby stores or in case of an emergency. 

hace 21 minutos, Werloc dijo:

Yes, the winning country has no time at all to prepare for the 2021 contest then with venue booking and all that good organising stuff. It would be a never-ending cycle of postponement. 

Just the decide the host in advance. The winner of this edition will have to resign their right for this time.

Posted
hace 1 hora, heywoodu dijo:

Dutch prime minister just had his historic speech (last time that happened was during the oil crisis in 1973), where the main thing was him clearly laying out three options.

1. 'Maximum control' of the spread of the virus. Meaning we accept a huge number of people will get it, but we basically try and protect the vulnerable people and try to mostly keep the spread within the healthy population, thus building 'group immunity' and in the end stop the virus from spreading towards the vulnerable. The main thing of this is to make sure it's spread out over a larger period of time and hospitals don't get completely overwhelmed.

2. 'No control', just let it go basically. Obviously this would mean an insane peak which might be way shorter, but would completely overload hospitals and in the end be way more damaging.

3. 'Total lockdown' to try and stop the virus from spreading at all. This is considered to be just so incredibly impractical and unrealistic that it's not really an option. Another bad side of this is that a total lockdown will most likely take months, if not at least a year, and in the end there is no form of 'immunity' whatsoever. Basically, a total lockdown is a pure recipe to postpone the problems described in scenario 2. No thanks to that.

He announced we're going full-force with option 1, and I'm glad with it. It seems way better than locking everything down, which in the end is probably going to be the way more damaging.

Why is this speech "historic"?

What is "total lockdown"? nobody working + frontiers/airports closed? I suppose excluding police/hospitals.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted (edited)
hace 25 minutos, LowerSaxony dijo:

Because the super dysfunctional US election system punishes that party which splits first.

American voters in general are too lazy to give much of a thought to politics. Which is understandable given their "system" is very old and too established. Trump, Sanders or any politician are just decoration that can't change much, regardless of how "radical" their speeches may sound. It's the most fake democracy of any first world western country. 

Edited by LDOG