website statistics
Winter Paralympic Games 2022
Posted

The first ever combined World Para Snow Sports Championships begin at 9am (GMT) today in Lillehammer, :NOR and continue until 23 January.

Most of the sports covered by the Paralympic Games - alpine skiing, biathlon, cross country skiing and snowboarding - are included so we should get a good idea of who is in contention for medals in Beijing.

https://www.paralympic.org/lillehammer-2021

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_World_Para_Snow_Sports_Championships

Summer Paralympic Games 2020
Posted
23 minutes ago, opruh said:

So India is doing something very wrong? :yikes: I'm glad the result means China is doing the right things. Do you agree Nickyc707? :coffee:

I don't think India is driven to use sport for political purposes in the same way that China is, so I don't believe they are doing it wrong they just have a different agenda. China on the other hand is a totalitarian regime which uses sport to promote itself just as other such regimes have done since the 1930s. As I said previously failure to succeed would have been unthinkable given the massive population advantage they enjoy which enables them to compete in more classes than any other country. Is China doing the right thing in using sport for political purposes? No. Is it doing the right things to win medals at the Paralympics? Apparently.

Posted
3 hours ago, opruh said:

China with the most golds as always. :coffee:

If they couldn't get most golds with their vast population in relation to every other country bar India they would have to be doing something very wrong. This advantage is even greater than at the Olympics given the class based system employed in Paralympic sports.

Posted
8 hours ago, Henry_Leon said:

Fantastic edition for :ITA  with 69 medals, it's 2nd best Paralympic ever (80 medals at Rome 1960)

Medals from 11 different disciplines with swimming at top (39 medals)

Italy closed Tokyo 2020 with a historic clean sweep in the women's 100m T63  with Ambra Sabatini, Martina Caironi and Monica Graziana Contrafatto.

Sabatini also break the world record two time in heat and in final; with 19 years old is the new rising star of Athletics

More than medals, are the stories of these extraordinary athletes an important lesson.

Italy have definitely developed an impressive swimming programme.

Just as an indication of how Russia's return effected the medal table here is the impact on the four countries who topped 100 medals in 2016.

:CHN  239 - 207        -32

:GBR  147 - 124         -23

:UKR  117 - 98           -19

:USA  115 - 104         -11

:RUS  0 - 118             +118

Italy appear to have made significant progress with a 30 medal gain (39 - 69). Overall we've seen a greater spread of medals as the competition has grown in the two main sports of athletics and swimming.

Posted
16 hours ago, dcro said:

Meanwhile, all is well in the world of para-dressage. :rolleyes:

Even though they were beatable since Rio, the British Paralympic record remains unbeaten thanks to the masterful effort of certain :GBR Sarah LEITCH in underscoring Dutch riders.

No, this is not sensationalism. Excluding her input, the Dutch would have scored 1.491% more (230.740), which would easily be enough for the gold medal...

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralympic-games/resPG2020-/pdf/PG2020-/EQU/PG2020-_EQU_C73(D)A_EQUODRESTEAM05050-----------------.pdf

Interestingly, you didn't note that she underscored four of the six British and Dutch riders in comparison with the average of the judges as a whole, while a fifth was marked in line with the average. Of the six riders she only seems to have overmarked one in relation to the other judges, namely Pearson. You may have some sort of a case but I suspect you have overstepped into the very sensationalism which you feared.

The main trends I saw were that the German consistently overmarked the riders from these two countries, while the Norwegian underscored them. Meanwhile, the Italian judge seemed to have some of the oddest views of the respective performances of the competitors.

Posted
15 hours ago, dcro said:

And more to the fact, this was just the most blatant robbery I have ever seen.

Sophie Wells somehow improved on her previous score despite a large mistake in counter canter, and near-lateral walk. "Disgusting", as some would say.

Wells scored 75.651%. Leitch gave her the second lowest score of 74.419% so if your allegations are correct the fault lies with the three judges from other countries who boosted her score rather than with Leitch.

17 hours ago, Quasit said:

When 107 golds are only good for second place but they really had over 900 medal events back then. Wow. 

1984 was an oddity with the event held jointly either side of the Atlantic and this perhaps partly explains why the number of events were so much greater than any Games before or since. Added to which most of the Eastern bloc boycotted the Paralympics just as they had the LA Olympics.

1 :CHN
2 :RPC
3 :GBR
4 :USA
5 :UKR
6 :AUS
7 :NED
8 :ITA
9 :GER
10 :BRA

:CHN gets first position at the medal table since 2004, so their place is secured, but :RUS is back (as RPC of course) with probably their best team ever (?), so I expect them to "steal" some of the golds other big nations won in their 2016 absence. They'll have a good fight with :GBR, which since 2000 always figure in the top 3 positions, and this time maybe can even maintain the second place.

About :USA and :UKR it could go either way, both are very consistent and finish at the top 5 in almost every recent edition. I gave United States the edge because Ukraine has fewer athletes this time. I could change the order of the top 5 nations, but for me this are the most likely to end ahead of the competition.

:AUS could potentially challenge for top 5 as they have a good variety of medalling sports, but their results in Athletics and Swimming (obviously the two sports that give most medals) aren't that great. Either way, they should at least get 6th place ahead of :NED, :ITA, :GER and :BRA which are close in medal chances. Netherlands is strong in Cycling and Swimming, Italy in Swimming (amazing results at the most recent world championships), Germany in Cycling and Athletics, and Brazil in a few sports. I think Netherlands will pull ahead because they are clearly in an ascending curve when it comes to Paralympics, but Brazil could challenge for 8th and show the "legacy" of the Rio Games.

A slew of nations could challenge for top 10 though. :POL was top 10 in the last two editions and of course could repeat the feat. :FRA is consistent and could show the improvement ahead of their own Games. :ESP, :CAN, :NZL, :KOR, :IRI and :UZB didn't reach the top 10 in London and Rio, but with some luck at the gold medal count maybe will. And of course there's :JPN which didn't get a single gold medal in Rio and it's in a decline since their best result in 2004. The addition of new sports should help a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reach top 10 (the first hosts since Greece to do so). I really don't know what to expect from them but maybe they'll do amazing like at the Olympics.

GB have been in the top three at every Games since 1960 bar 1976, 1980 and 1996. Repeatedly second and destined now never to be first given China's recent hegemony. :(

Medals by Summer GamesEdit

Games Athletes Gold Silver Bronze Total Rank
Italy 1960 Rome 53 20 15 20 55 2
Japan 1964 Tokyo 39 18 23 20 61 2
Israel 1968 Tel Aviv 75 29 20 20 69 2
Germany 1972 Heidelberg 72 16 15 21 52 3
Canada 1976 Toronto 87 29 29 36 94 5
Netherlands 1980 Arnhem 96 47 32 21 100 5
United KingdomUnited States 1984 Stoke Mandeville/New York 227 107 112 112 331 2
South Korea 1988 Seoul 231 65 65 53 183 3
Spain 1992 Barcelona 209 40 47 41 128 3
United States 1996 Atlanta 248 39 42 41 122 4
Australia 2000 Sydney 215 41 43 47 131 2
Greece 2004 Athens 167 35 30 29 94 2
China 2008 Beijing 212 42 29 31 102 2
United Kingdom 2012 London 288 34 43 43 120 3
Brazil 2016 Rio de Janeiro 265 64 39 44 147 2
Japan 2020 Tokyo 227          
France 2024 Paris future event
United States 2028 Los Angeles future event
Australia 2032 Brisbane future event
Total 626 584 579 1789 2

Posted
1 hour ago, dcro said:

Only two swimming golds for China so far?

Was there some classification scandal recently uncovered or what?

Bit early to make any judgements after only around 20% of the programme but you've got to factor in the return of the Russians and the significant advances of countries like Italy.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Gold no. 15 for :GBR Dame Sarah Storey!

Her 65th Paralympic, WC and EC gold medal after breaking her 76th WR earlier today.

Summer Paralympic Games 2016 Official Thread
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, opruh said:

Well, India too has a vast population but it's not easy to for them to get as much success as their Chinese counterparts. I think it's only the third time in the Paralympics history that a country got 100 plus gold medals at a single edition. 

The difference between India and China is that the former is a democracy  with other social and economic priorities, while the latter is a one party state which is able to direct it's resources in whatever direction it chooses in order to project itself in the world.

According to China's own journal the Beijing Review  the country has 85 million disabled people which is more than the entire populations of most of the world's nation states. This vast pool enables them to compete in almost every Paralympic class in each sport which other countries cannot do. China did very well. My only point is that it should not be surprising given the massive advantage they enjoy and it certainly isn't amazing as you described it.  :cool:

Edited by Nickyc707

4 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Amazing games for us, we back in the top 10 :cry: The last time was in 1972 :clap: 

That's a surprising stat! I know Italy haven't done so well recently but I would never have guessed that they had been in the relative doldrums that long. I've been wondering why the big European countries like France, Germany and Italy haven't been performing as strongly at the Paralympics as they do at the Olympics in recent cycles.

1 hour ago, opruh said:

100+ gold medals for China is amazing. :thumbup:

I don't think you should be too amazed! After all China's vast population means that they can find athletes to compete across many more classes than most other countries.

Big thanks to hckosice  and Gianlu33 for keeping us up to date with all the results during the past ten days. :bowdown::thumbup:

Despite the worries beforehand these Games seem to have reached the Brazilian people in a way the Olympics  didn't and it was wonderful to see the way they revelled in the performances of not only their own athletes but those of the other competing nations. It is only when you watch the Paralympics that you realise just how many remarkable people there are across the world fighting to overcome huge barriers in their lives and achieving things that even many able-bodied people can only dream of.

From a national point of view a great games for GB with 147 medals and 64 gold medals. The best since 1988 - 183 medals and 65 golds - when the programme was 40% bigger!

Always sad when a multi-event games ends not least because it invariably sees the retirement of great athletes who we'll never get to see in action again. But sport goes on and new heroes emerge. Anyway can't wait for the next one!  :hatoff:

26 minutes ago, hckosice said:

ROAD CYCLING

https://www.paralympic.org/static/info/rio-2016/resIPC/img/sports/Medium/CR.png

Women's Road Race - C4-5

Final Results

:USA Sarah STOREY

2:15:42

:POL Anna HARKOWSKA

+3:29

:GBR Crystal LANE

+6:16

Dame Sarah Storey is GB's most successful ever female Paralympian with 14 gold medals in swimming and cycling. Afraid the Americans can't have her!   :yes

Big congratulations to Kadeena Cox who had already won medals in two different sports in Rio (athletics and cycling) but has now turned that into two gold medals in different sports at the same games.    :toast:

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dcro said:

What a semifinal in women's wheelchair tennis. :bowdown: Van Root serving for the match now, but the leader has changed like 10 times in this set.

Must be something in the water. The quad doubles bronze medal match has just ended after four hours and twenty five minutes which makes it the longest wheelchair tennis match in history. :woot:

Edited by Nickyc707

A great day for GB with 21 medals including 8 golds. Mind you China got 23 so it's all relative.  ☺

Posted (edited)

Another upset by a Thai athlete. Seems they have a great wheelchair programme.  :bowdown:

Edited by Nickyc707
Correction

Posted (edited)

Wow, missed the athletics as I was watching the rowing. Shocked to see Fearnley and in particular Hug beaten.  :woot:

Edited by Nickyc707
Error

Fantastic guts by Rachel Morris winning a gold medal in rowing after doing the same in road cycling back in Beijing.  :clap:

2 hours ago, Quasit said:

I'm surprised to see Japan doesn't seem to have that interest in Paralympic sports.

I agree. Even leaving aside the fact that they are the next hosts, my impression is that Japan is a country with a strong record on disability issues. My guess is that 2020 will lead to a change of attitude if not before then after the experience of hosting the Games.