website statistics
Canada National Thread
Posted
19 hours ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

Long time lurker who decided to jump into the convo here to say that I think Charles Hamelin deserves serious consideration for flag bearer... it's his 5th olympics, he's won 5 medals (including three gold) and he has a shot at becoming one of Canada's most decorated Olympians at these games! 

Also thanks so much to all the posters in this thread, you guys made the Tokyo Olympics 6 months ago super enjoyable!! 

Welcome 

Canada National Thread
Posted
On 8/13/2021 at 2:32 AM, orangeman said:

Looks like GB's 4x100 relay team will be DQed due to one of their runners doping.  This will move Canada up from bronze to silver!  

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/58193101

Honestly, not the team I thought we'd see doping from the sprints, but there's still time I guess.  

Yes I saw this news.  When are we gonna know if they are disqualified or not?

Canada National Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Overall, how is the Games for Canada? Did you complain much about Week 1? Since Italy and Poland have had a tremendous run of form in Week 2 (by our own standards) I wonder if Canada had a better first or second week? You didn't win any golds in swimming?

I am pretty satisfied.  The first week was great for us.  We had great results in swimming.  The second week was a mixed reactions from me, but it got better obviously lol :d

Canada National Thread
Posted
27 minutes ago, james89 said:

I looked more into this - the men's and the women's race have the same rules - "The remaining six teams will be ranked by their times in the First Round and will be paired as follows: The two fastest teams ride the final for the bronze medal. The next two fastest teams ride the final for 5th and 6th places. The last two teams ride the final for 7th and 8th places."

Which means both the mens and womens team could win bronze - it will be a tough ask but its possible so I'm going with that.

Well hope dies last.  So anything is possible.:d

Canada National Thread
Posted
35 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I don't know if it would surpass 2010 hockey (womens and mens) because that was on home soil and our sport.  But this win is already top-5 Canadian Olympic moment.  

Young 'uns here will forget that for years CBC used to play Grey Joy's 1976 silver medal in the high jump to close their daily broadcast (that used to be a thing) for years and years.  It wasn't until the 90s that gold medals got more common, Bailey's 100m gold in 1996 is also top-5 for sure along with the 4x100 gold that same year.  I remember watching in disbelief.    

I will always remember this moment.  Before the game, I was at the grocery store, and I went earlier so I could watch the game, and there were nobody on the road.  Everyone were glued to their tv. lol Great moment.

Canada National Thread
Posted
37 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Three straight semi finals for Canada at the Olympics.  

Either the Dutch or Americans next.  Hopefully there are no Norwegian refs this time.  

Lol good one.  :roflmao:

Canada National Thread
Posted
2 hours ago, NearPup said:

“Six weeks ago I was told I was lucky to be alive, and when they made the team announcements I was literally limping out of the hospital with a broken collarbone,” she said. “I just can’t believe I’m here.”

Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski is a legend.

Omg wow how amazing is this. 

Canada National Thread
Posted
3 hours ago, intoronto said:

So far we have had 10! fourth (or fifth in combat) sport finishes.

Rose + Caeli Mckay less than point away from bronze in their events after suffering a badly sprained ankle. Couldn't ask for more.

4 NR's in swimming (100m free, 400m free, 4x200 relay and 4x100 m relay men). They did their best and really no room for improvement at the time.

Caroline Veyre gave it her all and won some points, she wasn't expected to beat her Italian opponent anyways. 

Shady El Nahas fought hard in the bronze medal match against 2 time defending WC Fonseca of Portugal

Kai Langerfeld and Conlin McCabe had a great pairs race, and werent' expected to medal, so their medal was remarkable.

The only one that is hard to take is Arthur Margelidon's performance. He made a small mistake costing him the medal

Yea, I would have liked more medals, but the end of the day these are ALL remarkable performances, which we should ultimately be happy with 

Totally agree.  They did very good. 

Canada National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, NearPup said:

What an amazing race by the women's eight. Canada was having a terrible regatta. The eight wasn't even looking that good in the heats and rep. Just incredible.

So happy that for once it's on our side.  

Canada National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Canada somewhat miraculously made the quarterfinals in the men's rugby 7s tournament, thanks to Ireland accidentally putting the ball in touch too early. Canada will face New Zealand in the quarterfinals.

Oh boy that will be tough