website statistics
vor 6 Stunden schrieb rybak:

Very sad end of the day, I feel so dissapointed that I even don't know what Kamil and especially Stefan feels, he lost his life chance for medal :cry:

Edit: And Wellinger again had his damn luck, wind and judges help him to win, Olympic spirit is broken as cheater take gold...

Wind points today:

Wellinger (-10.5 & -17.8 = -28.3)

Forfang (-12 & - 17.2 = -29.2)

Johansson (-5 & -17.9 = -22.9)

Stoch (-13.5 & -10.8 = -24.3)

Hula (-14.4 & -18.2 = 32.6)

Tande (-13.2 & -19.4 = -32.6)

Kobayashi (-15.3 & -18.6 = -33.9)

Eisenbichler (-14.8 & -17.1 = -31.9)

Freitag (-13.4 & -12.2 = -25.6)

Geiger (-9.4 & -15.8 = -25.2)

Out of the top 10, 5 athletes had better wind conditions than Wellinger and 4 had worse wind conditions. Hula had the second best wind, together with Tande, but yeah Wellinger is the one who got lucky, although Hula had better conditions than him in both rounds ...

Just as a reminder: Wellinger won by 8.4 points, so even if he would have jumped 109.5 m in the second round, he would have won today.

Wind points at the 4 hills tournament, Freitag vs. Stoch:

Oberstdorf:

Stoch: 6.3 & 1.0 = 7.3

Freitag: 4.4 & 13.2 = 17.6

Garmisch-Partenkirchen:

Stoch: 1.5 & 1.9 = 3.4

Freitag: 3.0 & 6.6 = 9.6

Innsbruck:

Stoch: -3.4 (& -0.9)

Freitag: -1.5

In total:

Stoch: 7.3

Freitag: 25.7

Out of 5 rounds they competed against each other, Stoch had the better conditions 4 times. If i calculated correctly, the probability for that is 12.5%, but yeah Stoch wasn't lucky at all ...

If we only look at the competitions as a whole, Stoch had the better conditions every time (3 out of 3).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb VolleyRuller96:

I think the emotions should water down a bit by now... but still, I am speechless :cry:

This was possibly Hula's only chance for an olympic medal :(

What? If Poland doesn't win a medal in the team competition, they should stop competing in ski jumping. Stoch could probably jump backwards and they would still win a team medal, given how horrible Slovenia, Japan and especially Austria are. Before the start of the olympics i was sure that Poland would win gold, but now Norway and Germany seem better than before, so maybe this could be a threeway battle for gold, although it is more likely that Eisenbichler and/or Geiger completely mess up again.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Gianlu33:

Nice idea, what about build a big (very very big) hangar o something like this? :p 

Yeah ... that's exactly what we need. Build a hangar for 1 billion dollars that can only be used for ski jumping and then after the olympics never use it again.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb EselTheDonkey:

Wellinger also had far worse conditions than during the Trial round.

Really ...

In the trial round he was lightyears ahead of everyone else, in the qualification it was much closer. Either his jump in the trial round was much better or everyone else got suddenly much better in the qualification ... what do you think?

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Gianlu33:

Wellinger :bowdown: What great jump for him

Not really ... far worse than his previous jump.

Hopefully Freitag won't win a medal if he jumps like that, he is at 80% of his top shape at best, would be a bad sign if he would win a medal with that. Like i said before: Ski jumping is in it's worst state i can remember, the "absence" of slovenian and austrian athletes clearly hurts the level of competition.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb intoronto:

they gave a lot of tickets to volunteers for free and 

Good to know, but i think the athletes don't care who cheers for them. I am always sad when athletes have to compete in front of small crowds at the olympics, this is the moment they worked for 4 years after all ...

In Sochi even handing out free tickets probably wouldn't have helped ...

Ski Jumping at the Winter Olympic Games 2018
Posted (edited)
vor einer Stunde schrieb Pavlo:

Wellinger looks great - wow

True and Stoch looked bad, but that is not unusual for him. I still think that the 3 golds are his to lose, very hard to see him not winning at least 2 golds.

Edit: Wellinger always has a problem with being consistent, wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't be top 5 in qualification.

Edited by OlympicsFan

I am really surprised by how many people there are, very good job Korea! :thumbup:

Medals should be between Stoch, Kubacki, Forfang, Wellinger and Johansson.

Personally i think that Stoch will win 3 golds here, making him the greatest olympic ski jumper of all times.

Results:

https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018/results/en/ski-jumping/result-men-s-normal-hill-individual-trno-0103sj-.htm

So far the norwegian guys didn't really participate, so ...

First training:

1 Dawid Kubacki (86.8)

2 Kamil Stoch (85.3)

3 Markus Eisenbichler (83.3)

20 Richard Freitag (62.8) (Small hint for everyone who picked him in the prediction contest)

Second training:

1 Kamil Stoch (73.6)

2 Manuel Fettner (67.2)

3 Dawid Kubacki (62.6)

24 Richard Freitag (46.9)

Third training:

1 Andreas Wellinger (75.0)

2 Stefan Hula (65.8)

3 Kamil Stoch (65.0)

30 Richard Freitag (42.5)

I am very sad that Hannawalds record was equalled, although i am not too surprised. I dont think i have ever seen ski jumping in such a bad state, there are basically only 3 guys who are in shape (Stoch, Kobayashi, Freitag) and if one of them gets injured and the other one is Kobayashi, you are almost bound to win every single competition. Today it was surprisingly close, if we take Freitags record in Bischofshofen into consideration it is pretty likely that he would have won today. Soon nobody will care, but for now we have to accept that winning all 4 competitions was much more difficult for Hannawald than for Stoch.

I hope that soon Prevc, Kraft and so on will be able to compete again, otherwise this will be a very boring season.

Freitag was a lock to win this, but then he got unlucky (crash, Stoch again had better wind today ...) and didn't perform at his best.

Stoch seems like a very nice guy, so congrats to him, although i hate someone winning twice in a row, so i hoped for a different winner and Freitag was the only one who had it in his hands to beat Stoch, everyone else (norwegians, Prevc, Kraft) is just too weak right now.

Sad that the tournament was again decided by bad luck, but you can't really blame the jury today, it was Freitag's own fault.

Considering how strong Stoch was again, the tournament would have been over anyway, so losing the tournament isn't so bad, i just pray that he will be at his best at the olympics, he deserves it and it would be absolutely unbelievable if Germany would have to compete at the olympics without the two best athletes in alpine skiing (Neureuther and Luitz) and the two best athletes in ski jumping (Freund and Freitag).

The only positive thing is that Germany has 4 athletes in top 8 even without Freitag and Freund, with them it would probably be 6 german athletes in top 10.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb dcro:

18.5 for this jump? I can't even...

Pitty for Freitag.

I agree, with this landing Stoch never should have gotten more than 17.5 maybe 18 points.

Stoch winning the 4 hills tournament and olympic gold again would be bad for the sport, but you cant blame him for exploiting Freitag's monster choke. I hope that 3 different nations will win the 3 olympic golds this time.

And again Stoch had clearly better wind conditions than Freitag ... i am starting to believe that this is a conspiracy.

Respect for Stoch nevertheless, he has an ugly style, but he is absolutely peaking again and he handled the break very good.

What a fucking nightmare, if Freitag doesnt turn this around, this has to be considered as one of the worst chokes in sports history. Of course he again had shitty wind ...

Has anyone ever seen Kobayashi having bad wind? This guy always seems to have the best wind conditions.

I am absolutely shocked by this result, i was totally sure that Freitag would win easily, but today Stoch clearly had better conditions and got lucky. I hope that justice will be restored soon and for now i dont worry too much, lets just hope that Freitag keeps his nerves and doesnt choke like today. Now it is basically a three way battle between Freitag, Stoch and Kraft.