website statistics
Il y a 1 heure , Monzanator a déclaré:

Has Ireland ever won a World Championship in a team sport? And I don't mean Gaelic football ;)

No, never been in a world final in a team sport before. And  certainly did not think it would be hockey that would provide us with our first ever appearance in a world final. It's amazing! :)

Juste maintenant , rybak a déclaré:

Congrats, however I have mixed feelings as I'm happy that Ireland is in final but also mad because I predict Spain for win by 1 and I might lost my current first place in PC :d 

Thanks and sorry.... well not sorry but I am sure you will understand why :hug:

il y a 3 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

thanks...:yes

very good, then...I'm not against transfers (of course, Italy has always so many players with National heritage but grown up and trained abroad in so many sport) and I like global integration, but I'm even happier when a sport movement can develop its own players by itself...it's a signal that things work good in that Country (in that specific sector, obviously)...

It's an amateur team so their success here is all the more sweet. I don't think even this result will change the status of hockey in Ireland but I can always hope.

Women's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2018
Posted (edited)
il y a 25 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

Ireland are in the semifinals! :yikes:

p.s. just asking to those who follow women's field hockey carefully...I really don't want to make any argument of that...but, how many of those girls are true Irish and how many are 2nd-tier English women? :mumble:

It's very much an Irish home-grown team. I'm not very knowledgable in hockey myself but as far as I know there are no "transferees" unless someone wants to prove me wrong.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Field Hockey FIH World League 2016 - 2017
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

In really we have the lowest ranking of the group :p 

Yeah but hockey rankings are pretty useless to determine current form. I remember we played Italy in World League last year (Olympic qualifiers) and your team was decent.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Field Hockey 2016 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)

The FIH have voted to increase the number of teams in the Hockey World Cup to 16 teams. The new format will be 4 pools of 4 teams each. The pool winners advance to the Quarter-Finals, the 2nd and 3rd placed teams will play crossover matches to determine the other 4 quarter-final places. The 4th placed teams in each pool will be eliminated. These changes will be in place for the 2018 World Cups.

I think it's a great decision to move it up to 16 teams.... the format can be tinkered with over time but thankfully we have at least 16 teams now at the World Cup for the first time since 2002 :yes

Edited by OlympicIRL

Field Hockey at the Summer Olympic Games 2016
Posted (edited)

Makes Ireland's 5-0 defeat to the Netherlands look not so bad now :d

In fact, we played well in all matches at these Olympics, probably the match against India was our worst performance and we still ran them close at 3-2. Hopefully we continue getting better in the years to come. I'm not particularly optimistic though as hockey isn't very popular here and despite the breakthrough, it will be quickly forgotten by the general public :(

Edited by OlympicIRL

50 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Despite our players were super nervous due to the (unfair) risk of elimination, they survive another day :yes Now starts a new tournament :ESP in QF, they can perfectly win if they play like they normally do.

I watched the game, very enjoyable. Good luck in the quarterfinals :yes