website statistics
Road Cycling 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I did find out that Powless’ mother was a Olympian in 1992 today. She ran for Guam in the marathon. So there’s your fun fact of the day courtesy of the peeps over at Olympedia. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, hckosice said:

Van Aert should pay more attention to his mouth and words..

and I sincerelly hope he will be penalized or at least fined for his middle finger. 

Van Aert fined 200CHF by UCI.

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No, Sagan should not have headbutted another rider. He was lucky it was Van Aert, someone with (just like Sagan) above-average skills on a bike, with a lot of other riders it'd have ended up with half the peloton on the road. It doesn't make Van Aert behaving like a little bitch after the finish any better, but that has nothing to do with Sagan having the dangerous move, way more than Van Aert's (also not great) move.

Headbutt leading to only a minor penalty, Sagan has nothing to complain about today. Same thing in 2017 by the way, when he gave Cavendish a lesson in what Cavendish did himself in the 2016 Olympics. Cavendish not being DQ'ed there was more unfair than Sagan being DQ'ed in 2017.

Now I definitely have to watch all the highlights and interviews :p

So in the span of 11 stages, we’ve gone from “the green jersey is rigged in favor of Sagan,” to “the green jersey is rigged against Sagan.” :p

I’ll have to watch the highlights later today to see what happened.

Also, I saw what happened to Sagan when watching the extended highlights provided by NBC, and it’s not really his fault he lost the stage today. There was a lead out rider that pull to the side well, and then he and a couple other guys got caught out by a dip in the road (which I think knocked his chain off).

To be fair, I find all the jersey competitions exciting/worthwhile in their own right. The only thing I can’t stand are these ridiculous “Bonus” things.

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

To be honest, having the same guy taking it for an entire decade or whatever hardly seems exciting. :p For me the system is flawed, but to each their own I guess..

It seems pretty fair. If sprinters can’t be bothered to drag their asses over hills at more than a semi-pedestrian place, then that’s on them.

49 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Jeez, I sometimes feel like a parrot. Every year repeating the same...The Green Jersey is NOT and never was the Best sprinter competition or the fastest sprinter competition,

The Green Jersey is the trophy for the Points Race competition winner. Riders have to collect points throughout the competition. The one who will collect the more points will win the points competition thus the green jersey.

Period.

Absolutely. I disagree a little on who it’s “meant for” or meant to incentivize, but it is absolutely the road twin of the track cycling points race. I actually going to post about how Sagan reminds me of Cameron Meyer a little bit.

I don’t see anything wrong with the green jersey classification by the way. I get that it’s supposed to be a reward for the sprinters, but if people can win it based on strategy, then that’s good riding.

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think Bora will go all out to win the green jersey. They realized that Buchmann won’t be able to make the podium, so they didn’t have to save energy for tomorrow and Sunday. Personally I never thought that someone like Sagan should win the green jersey because he clearly isn‘t and never has been the best sprinter, but I guess those are the rules. Once van Aert will be allowed to go for the green jersey it will be game over for Sagan.

There was a period, around when Sagan had his three-peat at the Worlds, where he actually was a very solid sprinter and a solid tactician. In his early career he had the speed, but the lacked the tactics to win more sprints. Now, it seems like both tactics and speed are starting to leave him, or at least he’s having a poor year in the saddle. Like some others said, it’s a long tour and he may improve, but I have yet to be impressed by his performance. I’d say he has only his team to thank for that green jersey right now. 

Sagan has been really disappointing this year. He’s clearly not in good form. I hope he’s able to comeback at some point. Easily one of the most entertaining cyclists of this century. 

Nice stage from Lutsenko. That win wasn’t as exciting as his victory at the 2018 Asian Games, but it was still a fantastic ride nonetheless. 

Powless managed to give me more hope about the future of American cycling. Actually, I’m very pleased with our “young” cyclists right now. Kuss and Powless have shown a fair amount of ability and strength lately. I’m excited to see how they’ll perform for the rest of the tour. I once thought Craddock would be the future of American cycling, and possibly a GC contender, but he never really planned out. However, between these three, I have some high hopes for American cycling in the coming years. They probably aren’t guys that will win tour after tour, but they are riders that could be competitive at events like the World Championships and Olympic Games, and honestly I’ll take that.

16 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I have my doubt honestly :p

There’s not a name better though. Easily my favorite name to say.

27 minutes ago, bmo said:

Two straight stage wins for Jumbo Visma. This time it’s Wout Van Aert!

Easily the best name of the Tour.

6 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Honestly "great" is a big word, only the last 10km was really interesting. I can't wait for the 3rd week :cheer:

Intermediate sprint and climbing points were pretty interesting too.

Man, great stage 4. I just managed to watch some highlights, but that was awesome. This is shaping up to be a great tour.

25 minutes ago, justony said:

Team ?? rules. Soon everybody will know, how to write and speak in Slovenian. ?

Plus, with Sagan you’re basically unstoppable :p

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about these guys. Not gonna lie, I still remenber Banesto, Kelme and ONCE as the top teams so I'm kinda behind schedule with all the sponsor changes and which "new" team is actually an "old" team with a new sponsor. @hckosice seems to imply Cofidis had some name changes in the last decade?

Lotto remained a fixture for over 20 years as well but they're gone now, right? Jumbo-Visma is more Rabobank or more Lotto?

No, @hckosice was talking about a different French team. I can’t remember their current name, but they used to be Direct Energie.

Lotto Soudal is still in the field. 

Astana hasn’t changed names in the last decade either I think. I feel like Movistar has been around for quite a while too.

14 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

What about AG2R? It's always AG2R something but still AG2R. And it's like this from two decades I believe, maybe more.

Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. FdJ, AG2R, and Cofidis are the only teams that stayed constant, since I started watching cycling around 2010.