website statistics
Your Favorite Opening Ceremonies
Posted

I love the first 5 minutes of Athens 2004. I’ve had that song/beat stuck in my head all week. Also the rings on fire in water had become such an iconic image.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

I love the First Nations segment from Vancouver 2010. However the caldron malfunction overshadows that ceremony.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
14 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Vancouver 2010, Toronto 2015 (home town games, so how could it not be among your favourites ?). I really liked Turin 2006 as well...

My biggest problem with Toronto 2015 was that it just really lacked a wow moment. I loved the way they made the caldron though

Posted
Just now, Vojthas said:

For me the most important one was the London 2012 as it was the first one I covered live. Later on I did all Olympic and 2016 YOG, as well as some Universiade (including Summer 2017, which I did in media centre tent of... European Eventing Championships in Strzegom during cross).

The beginning of London 2012 is definitely the best ceremony segment of all time. I mean they really did portray 200 years of history in around 15 minutes and do a very good job of it. The pause for WW1 and WW2 gets me every time, especially since the entire crowd stands up to honor those lost.

Posted

For Beijing wins other catagories, but just didn’t give me the same feelings as these other ceremonies did. The drum segment will always be the most memorable part of any opening ceremony of all time probably. I’m going to post some other category ranking lists later where Beijing will shine.

I really do just love Baku 2015’s ceremony though. (That burning man will always be the most memorable image from an opening ceremony)

I also love the beginning music here. What a great way to depict steppes culture:

Posted

My Personal Favorites/“Rankings”

Favorite Ceremonies Overall

1. Baku 2015 - Hello Azerbaijani culture. Just an amazing masterpiece all around. One of the highlights of the 1st ever European Games. I love everything about this ceremony. The dress changes to form carpet patterns. Lady Gaga’s performance of “Imagine”. The “Europa” segment with the mini stories. Europa and Bull. The really cherry on top is the last 20 minutes the ceremony. Plus, the most recognizable and unique caldrons of all time. 100/100

2. Rio 2016 - Nothing more Brazilian has ever existed. It was a lower budget production than the others on this list. I felt causal and slow like the rhythm of Brazil. It showed social chaos, and brought climate change to the forefront with what has become my favorite poem of all time. Also what a deserved moment for De Lima being the final torch bearer. The caldron was simple, yet unique and beautiful. 100/100

3. Jakarta/Palembang 2018 - The President of Indonesia is James Bond in his spare time. That opening dance number gave my chills. The placard bearers costumes for the parade of nations :wub:. Plus, the artificial waterfall :wub:. The artistic segment was just wonderful too. 100/100

Posted

I thought it’s about time we talk about all the amazing opening ceremonies we’ve seen over the last few decades. Feel free to discuss anything about opening ceremonies below. There’s no rankings unless you wish to publish your own personal ones. This is a thread for the appreciation of opening ceremonies.

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process
Posted
Just now, Griff88 said:

A lot of things can still happen... including whether Bach is still holding his office or not :evil:

Bach will definitely hold his office:yes

Posted
Just now, phelps said:

no, they can't even do it...they have to launch a bid campaign and give enough time to every interested city to present their bid properly before they award an Olympiad to somebody...

maybe they won't wait until 2025 (as it would be needed, according to the current rules), but surely it won't happen too quickly either...

Oh I think we’re way passed the “but IOC rules say” with Bach. There were recent amendments approved for the bid process by the IOC. One of those was getting rid of hard date limits. If Bach has what he wants, Queensland has already won. 

Posted

@phelps It’s looking more and more like Queensland will host in 2032: http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1084612/ioc-praise-queensland-2032-bid

I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re announced as hosts within the next year.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I started pushing my kids to sports.  Maybe they can be part of it! Lol

Youth sports are fucking insane in the US. It’s all done wrong, but good luck anyways. 

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

You know, it's 9 years from now, things might be considerably different in terms of who lives where, I wouldn't have my plans totally ready yet :p 

Well hopefully I inherit in very expensive property then :p. I have enough connections, I’m not worried.

Posted
2 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

You planning to move further south? Its gonna be tough for you to drive down daily from where you are.  Also for me. only 3 events in the SFV unfortunately.  Gonna spend a while commuting to santa monica. Downtown or long beach 

I’ll drive down or stay with my grandpa in Orange. Depends what events I get as volunteer.

Posted
1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Well l.a is official obviously.   (Yaaaay, who's coming and wants to stay over?)

I am! I have my accommodations though

Posted
Just now, phelps said:

it would be a nonsense...

the only Italian city that can host the Summer Games is Rome...

actually, under a strictly technical point of view Milan is also capable of that, but it would need a lot of investments and frankly, it's too small...

I guess we should be happy with the 2026 winter games and be realistic on anything else...

I’m really hoping for LA 2028 and then Salt Lake 2030. Both are within driving distance, and absolutely love both cities.

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Which sounds a lot better for some recreational coke sniffing than 4 years :p 

It’s better than professional or competitive coke sniffing obviously :p.

From reason I was reminded of a really funny story. My younger sister gets in the car with my mom after school. She begins to tell my mom that some kids were passing around drugs during class. My mom asks what drugs, and my sister says “medical cocaine” :roflmao:. I know she was only in middle school, but every pre-schooler in California knows the difference between cocaine, marijuana, shrooms, meth, or heroine. We still tease her to this day. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, phelps said:

yes...

by the way, if they really bid with Brisbane/Gold Coast, Australia is all but assured to win...

there will be strong biddings also from Europe and Asia...and nothing make me think that IOC is really interested in a continental rotation...with all what's going on with Olympic bids, they just go with the best possible project (and the safest bid in financial terms...Milan's win over Stockholm should be a big warning for those who think to win with cheap and messy and unpopular biddings)...

Everyone inside the IOC is talking like the Australian bid has already won...

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
Just now, Jan Linha said:

Would be amazing. Sydney Games were great. Would love to see Straya while Olympics :-) 

But the selection will happen some time in 2025, is that right?

No clue, part of the reformed bid process is that there’s no longer a set hard timetable. Budapest or India might be the favorites for 2036 by the way.

Posted
On 14/09/2019 at 16:53, Jan Linha said:

Hey guys. I heard some rumours that South African Durban is going join election for 2036 Summer Olympics. Anybody heard about it?

I’d wouldn’t think so, that had to give on hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games because they didn’t have enough funding.

The next Olympic bid race is for 2032 by the way. Australia looks almost assured to win.

Your Top 3 Favourite National Anthems
Posted
7 hours ago, dcro said:

But why exactly? That's so arbitrary. :wacko:

Because this is a celebration of Olympic anthems. East Germany doesn’t exist and they don’t have a current NOC. If the anthem is the same as current Germany, I can except it.

Posted
7 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

1/ :RUS

2/:RSA

3/:FRA

However, if it were not for the restrictions I would go for :WAL which manages to be both beautiful and stirring and always brings a tear to my eye even though I am not from that country. Like a number of others I also have a soft spot for :GDR despite what it represents.

I’m going to have a commonwealth themed one in 2021 or 2022 to celebrate the games. :WAL can get chosen then. I quite like “Jerusalem” by the way. Scotland’s got an odd song they use too.

Posted
4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Gold - :GDR

Silver - :NED

Bronze - :JPN

Please choose another Gold Medalist. East Germany does not satisfy the requirements (you can leave as gold, but choose another one as well please)

Posted (edited)

Gold Medal: :FRA France (La Marseillaise)

Silver Medal: :ITA Italy (Il Canto degli Italiani)

Bronze Medal: :BRA Brazil (Hino Nacional Brasileiro)

Special Mentions: :IND India (Jana Gana Mana) and :CAN Canada (O Canada)

Ones that just missed my top 5: :RUS Russian Federation (Gosudartvennyy Gimm Rossiyskoy Federatsii), :RSA South Africa (Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika), and :NEP Nepal (Sayaū Thūgā Phūlka)

The Worst: :USA United States (Star Spangled Banner), :NED Netherlands (Wilhelmus van Nassouwe), :FIJ Fiji (God Bless Fiji (with a better anthem please)), :ESP Spain (Marcha Real) add some lyrics please, or write a new one (that’d be cooler)

Edited by Olympian1010