website statistics
1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The simple answer is to increase athlete quotas and have the Olympics be hosted across 2-3 metro areas in a nation.

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

I have a solution that will release many athletes/quotas. Get rid of football!  That are 504 athlete quotas. 

Olympics should be a stage where we see the best athletes in every sport. Do any expect to see Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, etc..  at the Olympics in Tokyo? 

If football doesn't begin to take it's role as an olympic sport seriously, I would mean that many other sports deserve a chance at the Olympics instead of football. 

p.s I'm a massive football fan. The sport I watch the most is, with no doubt, football. Both club and international matches. I love the sport and I find it to be a disgrace to watch Olympic football compared to the World Cup, especially for the best teams. The Olympics should at least have the same level or status as the World Cup. 

I agree with both of these statements. Definitely would be fine with kicking out boxing and adding Squash and Climbing with the quotas that creates.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

I really would like a clarification on the term "urban".

I’ve been thinking the small thing actually. It honestly just seems like a flash word to describe something popular amongst people of my generation.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, wumo26 said:

This quote should be well like here:

IOC President Thomas Bach claimed the four sports will make Paris 2024 "more gender balanced, more youthful and more urban" and "offer the opportunity to connect with the young generation" in the French capital.”

So I’ve been talking to my “youth” friends at break, and they want to know why the fuck breakdancing is becoming an Olympic sport. I had multiple kids tell me it’s not a sport, they also hate the inclusion of surfing and skateboarding 

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Lets start practicing! 

I already do. Every Friday night at work since I turned legal :cool::p

5 hours ago, wumo26 said:

I'm not fan of including any dancesport, but if you had to include something, Standard and Latin would be much more fitting for the Olympics. 

I’d take breaking over that (just because it’s way more exciting to watch)

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Sounds about right, low quotas and low impact on venue needs.

But break dancing :facepalm:

Well, it is popular in the host country. Especially in the Paris area

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I can only imagine squash has a ton of failed tennis prospects to boost their status? :lol:

Nope they have a real legit Pro Tour. It’s definitely one of the better ones too. I’d say it’s on par with tennis, badminton, etc.

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "why not both gif"

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t think either of them will make it, they’re not favorites

8 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's probably way too late and it's not going to happen but basque pelota finally reminds itself that it doesn't cost anything to at least trying

https://www.francebleu.fr/sports/tous-les-sports/la-pelote-basque-aux-jeux-olympiques-1548337246

No thank you. I’d prefer squash

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

And both baseball and skateboarding must be big favourites to be included in 2028

Surfing too. We have a huge climbing culture as well, but it may be on the outs

What I want to be added:

Get rid of Baseball/Softball

Keep Karate as is

Added all Sport Climbing events

Add Squash singles for both genders

Keep Skateboarding 

Keep Surfing

Add Pentanque singles (Cambodia, Thailand, Magascar, etc. have great medal chances)

27 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Lima 2019 increased its total quota by 600+ and their budget is about half of Toronto 2015. Ie. You do not need to have a cap on athletes, but other frivolous stuff.

I experienced both a Pan Am Games and Winter Olympics on the ground. Obviously the Winter Olympics are bigger globally, but do you really need two separate hockey venues? They could have merged it into one and had the competition across two weeks. Branding of venues was way over the top, if you cut that budget you would save so much money. 

The Summer Olympics are a totally different animal. Why is it necessary to have 7! large stadiums for soccer. All of which will need staff, volunteers, security, branding etc. Even with 4 or 5, you can have a competition where the field has enough time to recover.

I can go on and on...

I agree, the planning system and demands are too over-the-top

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

lol we are going to end up with like 5 entries per event at this rate. More sports in the same quota = less athletes competing per event. Stupid idea.

If you are going to add sports, increase the quota. If you do not want to do that, don't add anything.

That’s why I think It should be up to continental olympic bodies to host Olympics on their continents

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

no that's not true. Wrestling, Golf and Rugby they are all core sports. they are all 100% safe for 2024. the only core sport which is not safe is Weightlifting. (and now boxing)

they dropped wrestling once but then wrestling had a competition with some other sports like Squash to get its place back as a core  sport.

Oh, ok. Some sport still will likely replace boxing then.

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, 'core sports' is actually a thing instead of just a random name we gave to it? How on earth did new additions like rugby sevens and golf make it to the list of 'core sports'?

There not, they are 2 of the 3 (Wrestling be the the other one) IOC Invited sports. I believe they’ll be up for reinvitation after 2024. I’m not an expert on this topic though, I recommend reading the Wikipedia page for a better explanation

So, if boxing is gone as a core sport, what takes it’s place. Rugby Sevens, Golf, Wrestling (the current optional sports)? Karate, Sport Climbing, Surfing, Skateboard, Baseball (current regional optional sports)? Or other an outsider like Squash, Roller Sports?

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

But all other games are just east asians, western europeans and americans at the top level.

So, Canoe Slalom?

12 minutes ago, phelps said:

p.s. let's keep track of these words...

especially when in a few months we get an announcement about e-sports suddenly and immediately becoming part of the core disciplines of the Olympic program...:whistle::facepalm:

Bye bye Boxing, hello Halo