website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2018 - 2019

hckošice

1 minute ago, RobtheAggie said:

It is - 17 F right now, -27 C!

I can not imagine that the training runs are very fun.  That is cold.

Well if it's colder than -20 at racetime,  it'll be cancelled :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So ...  it appears that Russia arrived in Canmore without their rifles.  I do not know the validity of the source, but the Russians blame the Americans for this. I am not sure how flying into Canada without rifles can be the US's fault.  This might be part of the visa issues that the Russian team was having.  

13 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

So ...  it appears that Russia arrived in Canmore without their rifles.  I do not know the validity of the source, but the Russians blame the Americans for this. I am not sure how flying into Canada without rifles can be the US's fault.  This might be part of the visa issues that the Russian team was having.  

I'm more shocked by the piss-poor writing of that article :p

Come on, they even write Canmore and Kenmore.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

You are correct that the article really needed a good editor.  I remember the Swiss did not have their rifles last season when they did the night at Schalke.  It made a massive difference.  

Switching topics. 

The last race I remember cancelled was about three or four years ago when a light pole at the range in Russia came down.  I would they combine days in  Canmore before any cancelations due to weather.  Have they ever held two races on the same day?

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

You are correct that the article really needed a good editor.  I remember the Swiss did not have their rifles last season when they did the night at Schalke.  It made a massive difference.  

Switching topics. 

The last race I remember cancelled was about three or four years ago when a light pole at the range in Russia came down.  I would they combine days in  Canmore before any cancelations due to weather.  Have they ever held two races on the same day?

I highly doubt it :d (apart from supersprint qualifying and supersprint in the IBU Cup)

From here:

Many Options
Regarding the Thursday individuals, Saturday relays and Sunday mass starts, Nunar added, “We have many options like start times, course adjustments that are available if necessary. Thursday looks like the best day of the week with the morning low at minus 18 and the high around minus 14. After that it warms up: most importantly there will be less wind. The wind makes the cold temperatures even worse. We will just see how things go and present any ideas to the coaches at our meeting on Tuesday. They all understand the conditions and like us, just want the most fair and safe conditions for the athletes.”

OK, a little more about the Russian rifle situation.  Russian press agencies say that the United States prevented the rifles from traveling due to the lack of a license.    Here is a direct quote from President of the Russian Biathlon Union (SBR) Vladimir Drachev “The organizers of the stage are clearly to blame for this overlay. A few hours before departure, we learned that the Americans had not made an authorization to import weapons”  Here is some more info.   I am not sure who is to blame, but it does add a little more spice to this and next weekends events.  

Also - Laura Dahlmeier has announced that she will race in Canmore, but not in Soldier Hollow.

One more thing - Good Q&A with the Gow Brothers.

The Canmore weekend races are reschedulled. The Saturdays Relays are moved to Friday and the Sundays Mass Starts will be competed on Saturday. So far it´s still not certain if the Individuals will be contested tomorrow as originally schedulled

According to the weather forecasts I can find, Saturday will be the coldest day with a temperature around -21°. Sunday it wil be around -16°.  :mumble:

Maybe IBU and the organisers know more about the weather situation than I do. :p