website statistics

Surfing ISA World Games 2021

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, Quasit said:

@Laraja

What is the Aloha Cup and why wasn't it held this time but in 2019?

Tbh, i am not sure what is that competition. If I remember well from 2019, it was like a nations torunament, there were few nations selected, and some of their individuals competed again... like the dispute among the surfers, but only representing the country.

But it is so irrelevant that I think they decided to not organize this event in El Salvador. Maybe the pandemic had an impact on this decision.

8 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Also, could it be some nations didn't take it seriously?

Yeah, ISA Games was, and still is, considered an amateur event among the member of surfing world... because there is WSL and it is the actual "Worlds".

It was used to be an event to surfers who are starting their carrers.

When surfing get in to the Olympics, ISA put a mandatory rule that all surfers should participate at it, and then allowed the surfers from WSL to qualify to Oympics.

So, countries like USA, France(mens side), Australia and Brazil really didn't take the competition seriously. It was a surprise for me that French and Australian team didnt give up as Brazil and almost all female team of USA did. The pandemic also collaborated to surfers take that decision.

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

@Laraja

What is the Aloha Cup and why wasn't it held this time but in 2019?

Also, could it be some nations didn't take it seriously? The team results look strange, there's no way USA and Brazil are ranked that low but it was mentioned before some Brazilians abandoned early.

The Aloha cup is a mixed team event.