website statistics

Poll 34/100 | Rowing | Men's Coxless Pair, Coxless Four and Quadruple Sculls Medallist

Poll 33/100  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Men's Coxless Pair

• Croatia
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • Serbia
    • France
    • Netherlands
    • Denmark
    • Belarus
    • Canada
    • Romania
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • South Africa
  2. 2. Men's Coxless Four

• USA
    • Poland
    • Australia
    • Italy
    • Switzerland
    • Netherlands
    • Romania
    • Canada
    • South Africa
    • Great Britain
  3. 3. Men's Quadruple Sculls

• Estonia
    • Russia
    • Italy
    • Norway
    • China
    • Poland
    • Netherlands
    • Australia
    • Great Britain
    • Germany

With each successive poll I realise that I really only know the Dutch chances in a specific event. I rarely have a clue who exactly the other nations are that they're supposed to have a chance against.

It does seem like a typically Brittish move to win both the coxless four and the quadruple sculls, so after them and the two Dutch boats (I don't think the men's pair is a candidate) I had to resort to guesses once more.

M2-, ITA vs CRO for gold, ROU best among the others...

M4-, GBR vs AUS for gold, hopefully ITA edging out NED for bronze...

M4X, ITA vs NED for gold...very open race for bronze (my pick is GER because of their tradition in this boat)...

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

M2-, ITA vs CRO for gold, ROU best among the others...

M4-, GBR vs AUS for gold, hopefully ITA edging out NED for bronze...

M4X, ITA vs NED for gold...very open race for bronze (my pick is GER because of their tradition in this boat)...

Coxless Four: So neither the gold medalist nor the silver medalist from the last world championships are even in medal contention?

Quadruple sculls: So why isn’t Poland in contention after winning silver at the last worlds?

Coxless pair: So why aren’t New Zealand (silver at last worlds, 10 seconds ahead of Italy) and Australia (bronze at last worlds) at least as likely as Italy to win gold?

Italy winning 3 medals and 2 of them in silver/gold Sounds pretty optimistic after only winning one bronze in those events at the last worlds.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

In M4X Italy have a big big reason for win a gold. I don't think they can loose, no way.

Yes, but Poland have very big big reason to win. I think it is impossible for them to looose, zero change.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yes, but Poland have very big big reason to win. I think it is impossible for them to looose, zero change.

Ehm... i think Italy's reason is a little bit bigger... that is most important gold of olympics for us (and for them), boys will have a power engine on boat...is a special race. You know what about i'm talking, i suppose...

13 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Coxless Four: So neither the gold medalist nor the silver medalist from the last world championships are even in medal contention?

Quadruple sculls: So why isn’t Poland in contention after winning silver at the last worlds?

Coxless pair: So why aren’t New Zealand (silver at last worlds, 10 seconds ahead of Italy) and Australia (bronze at last worlds) at least as likely as Italy to win gold?

Italy winning 3 medals and 2 of them in silver/gold Sounds pretty optimistic after only winning one bronze in those events at the last worlds.

last world champs are 2 years away now...

I think the results of the last 12 months are more reliable...

in any case, also the composition of the various crews are to be considered...

Italy will put all of their best rowers on those 3 boats (which wasn't necessarily the case 2 years ago, when trying to qualify the most boats as possible), many other teams won't, as they have other disciplines as their best option to get some medals...

and this is the case of New Zealand in particular...they have placed all of their best rowers on the Eight (and the rules say that those who were on the boat at the repechage regatta last week must compete at the Games on that boat, they can't switch anymore, which makes NZL not a contender in M2- anymore...

4 medals is our target (add ML2X to these 3 boats)...

by the way, it's just my prediction...not the Truth carved in the Stone...