website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics LEN European Championships 2020

Totallympics

15 hours ago, Dnl said:

That’s why I am crossing my fingers.. she managed to cut 2 sec in this competition so her progress is huge, I am optimistic but not expecting anything special for now

And how long did it take her to cut 2 seconds? Any chance that it took her 2 years to improve by 2 seconds ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 hours ago, dcmdtruefan said:

Question for Hungarian fans and other swimming fans as well. Considering her times at the European Championships, how well you think Hosszu will do at the Olympics? Would she able to improve her time that is good enough to win gold medals again?

1) Impossible to say (no one knows her plans).

2) My guess: She won’t medal in the 200 IM, but in the 400 IM she should medal and maybe even win gold.

3) Any medal at her age would be a good achievement.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 hours ago, dcmdtruefan said:

Question for Hungarian fans and other swimming fans as well. Considering her times at the European Championships, how well you think Hosszu will do at the Olympics? Would she able to improve her time that is good enough to win gold medals again?

I think most Hungarians will/would be disappointed if she doesn't win both 200IM and 400IM, but that's mostly because everyone got used to seeing her win these two events every time (well, except at this ECh, ofc). 

I think the best case scenario is a repeat of Egerszegi in Atlanta. We were expecting two gold medals from Egerszegi because of her dominance 4 years ago (you can hear how disappointed the Hungarian commentator was when she lost 400IM), and in the end she won a gold and a bronze. I would be more than satisfied with a similar end to Hosszú's career. She can and will improve after this ECh, but so will everyone else, and most of her opponents are much younger then her. 

14 minutes ago, Dragon said:

For anyone not watching the British coverage, the BBC commentators are making a lot of fuss over the fact that the GB team are in heavy training and not peaking for this competition

Good to hear that they are delusional as usual. Also really impressive for Greenbank to swim PBS in both events while being in heavy training. Also James Guy swimming his fastest time in 4 years while being in heavy training. Also Renshaw swimming a PB while being in heavy training ...

16 minutes ago, Dragon said:

For anyone not watching the British coverage, the BBC commentators are making a lot of fuss over the fact that the GB team are in heavy training and not peaking for this competition

I would imagine that’s the case for nearly all medal contenders. There’s some who may be targeting Olympic qualification and for youngsters this might be their season goal but anyone who wants to medal in Tokyo will be nowhere near their peak now

Just now, Vektor said:

I think most Hungarians will/would be disappointed if she doesn't win both 200IM and 400IM, but that's mostly because everyone got used to seeing her win these two events every time (well, except at this ECh, ofc). 

I think the best case scenario is a repeat of Egerszegi in Atlanta. We were expecting two gold medals from Egerszegi because of her dominance 4 years ago (you can hear how disappointed the Hungarian commentator was when she lost 400IM), and in the end she won a gold and a bronze. I would be more than satisfied with a similar end to Hosszú's career. She can and will improve after this ECh, but so will everyone else, and most of her opponents are much younger then her. 

Whether Hungarians will be disappointed has no relevance for making predictions. In the 200 IM she seems to be too far away. In 2016 she improved less than a second from the European championships to the Olympics, this year she would have to improve by at least 2 seconds. In the 400 IM anything is possible.

17 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Good to hear that they are delusional as usual. Also really impressive for Greenbank to swim PBS in both events while being in heavy training. Also James Guy swimming his fastest time in 4 years while being in heavy training. Also Renshaw swimming a PB while being in heavy training ...

If Britain win 10 gold medals in Tokyo I hope you'll send a written apology to them? :d

28 minutes ago, Dragon said:

If Britain win 10 gold medals in Tokyo I hope you'll send a written apology to them? :d

1) 10 gold medals across all sports would be bad for GB and in swimming alone it is obviously impossible.

2) Best case for GB in Tokyo: 12 medals, 3 or 4 of them in gold. Realistic result: 8-10 medals, 2-3 golds.

I

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) 10 gold medals across all sports would be bad for GB and in swimming alone it is obviously impossible.

2) Best case for GB in Tokyo: 12 medals, 3 or 4 of them in gold. Realistic result: 8-10 medals, 2-3 golds.

Interesting. That's a lot lower than I would predict and I'm usually very pessimistic.

I would predict 10-14 golds including 1 or 2 in swimming,