website statistics

Women's Handball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

VolleyRuller96

China withdrew from the OQT because of the Coronavirus. This means that Kazakhstan will be in our group, with Serbia, Hungary and Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Hong Kong and Thailand won't take this opportunity to participate in the OQT with Norway, Montenegro and Romania. I mean, the coronavirus is also there. And you know what that means? Germany is about to get really lucky. 

Edited by Vektor

Hong Kong has said no, but it sounds like Thailand will go, but no final confirmation yet from their NOC. If not, the spot should essentially go to the best continent, not the best non-qualified country (according to a mail from IHF to Danish newspaper Politiken), but apparently it's not quite so sure (as it's a completely new situation). So it could be Denmark (as best non-qualified from the Euro) or Germany (best from Worlds) or even a third possibility: A wild card. Personally I don't see who should get such a wild card (unless they decide to go for Australia knowing very well that they wouldn't stand a chance) other than one of those 2. It's afterall 2 major handball nations and markets and clearly the 2 best non-qualified teams.

But then again. If Thailand confirm their participation, it doesn't really matter.

il y a 26 minutes, Agger a dit :

Hong Kong has said no, but it sounds like Thailand will go, but no final confirmation yet from their NOC. If not, the spot should essentially go to the best continent, not the best non-qualified country (according to a mail from IHF to Danish newspaper Politiken), but apparently it's not quite so sure (as it's a completely new situation). So it could be Denmark (as best non-qualified from the Euro) or Germany (best from Worlds) or even a third possibility: A wild card. Personally I don't see who should get such a wild card (unless they decide to go for Australia knowing very well that they wouldn't stand a chance) other than one of those 2. It's afterall 2 major handball nations and markets and clearly the 2 best non-qualified teams.

But then again. If Thailand confirm their participation, it doesn't really matter.

my dream of having the danish team at the olympics

32 minutes ago, Agger said:

it would be nice to have a playoff match between GER and DEN, with the winner going to the actual OQT...

it will never happen, but I'd really like something like that...:d

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...