website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

2 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Thanks buddy ....... but I see you have not updated a few so I would like to have your thoughts on them ....... of them I feel Basant Rana should be included in the probable quota  for the 50 Km walk as he is just a 1 minute behind in a 4 hr event ............... also I see you have not added durgesh  in the 400 and Jinson and two others in the 800 would love to hear your thoughts on them as well ..................

I feel in 50km walk we already have 2 people and to follow those who are quite a bit far is not interesting.. Hope they achieve the mark, but not much interest in that.

Durgesh having 0.87s is bit too far to achieve in few months...

Jinson and others too I feel not in the range to qualify...

But would love them to prove me wrong...:d:p

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Actually I think that India will  have a good chance to  qualify one judoka................ because in the continental quota - the rule is  -  continental quotas (Europe 25, Africa 24, Pan America 21, Asia 20 and Oceania 10 across both sexes and all divisions) are also subjected to an overall limit to one judoka per NOC ...i.e the Top 20 countries in Asia will send one judoka each under the continental category ( This will I think exclude nations like Japan / Korea/North Korea  who will  already 7 men / 7 women hence subject to the maximum rule in the top 22/15  ) ,,,, the process is extremely opaque and difficult to identify who will be selected but I think we will have  one judoka .......

Yeah Avtar definitely has a chance but right now, there are 2 judokas - from Jordan and Kazakhstan - ahead of Avtar in the race for continental quota. And there is also the limit of max 2 continental places per continent per category. So unless Avtar overtakes them in the rankings or the countries choose to use their continental quotas in some other category, Avtar doesnt make it. In addition, CHN and UZB are also ranked 21 and 22 in his category, so if either of them drop slightly in rankings, they'll drop out of direct world ranking qualification and end up taking the continental quotas..

So Avtar has a shot for sure but its not certain by any means...and under no circumstances are we qualifying 2 judokas like the federation claimed and the press reported...

Edited by kapil857

2 sure shot quota in Athletics, L Suriya(5000m/10,000m), she got 32min 39 sec in South Asian Games and 15 min 39 sec in 5000m(Fed cup), so she should get at least 1 quota.

OP Jaisha is even more certain to get a quota in the upcoming Diamond League events definitely in 5000m also has a chance in 1500m.

I'm also really impressed with the new girl Jyothi, she is competing strongly with Srabani and Dutee, don't count her off, she is a young athlete on the rise.

Guys do let me know your thoughts.

5 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

2 sure shot quota in Athletics, L Suriya(5000m/10,000m), she got 32min 39 sec in South Asian Games and 15 min 39 sec in 5000m(Fed cup), so she should get at least 1 quota.

OP Jaisha is even more certain to get a quota in the upcoming Diamond League events definitely in 5000m also has a chance in 1500m.

I'm also really impressed with the new girl Jyothi, she is competing strongly with Srabani and Dutee, don't count her off, she is a young athlete on the rise.

Guys do let me know your thoughts.

Agree with Jyothi she ran a good race untill the last 30m..She was running away with the race, But then she faded badly to give the race to Srabani....Hope she gets that stamina to finish the race...

Yaa we are expecting many more to hit the mark provided they participate in International events. In India with hardly any competition they cant push themselves to that mark.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

4 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Agree with Jyothi she ran a good race untill the last 30m..She was running away with the race, But then she faded badly to give the race to Srabani....Hope she gets that stamina to finish the race...

Yaa we are expecting many more to hit the mark provided they participate in International events. In India with hardly any competition they cant push themselves to that mark.

Prashanth ...That list which you have prepared was great .................................possibly it would be nice  if you could update the people I had outlined and Suriya outlined by Sanjib .... I think if nothing else it would give us a comprehensive list of high performing athletes we could track not just for the Olympics but later on in the Asian games .....as they are  all capable of medalling for example Jinsons score in the 800m is higher than the silver medal score at the 2014 Asian games , tejinders throw is very close to the Asian games gold medal score of 19.97 ..........

I actually feel that Indian athletics is showing tremendous  progress in the breath and depth of all disciplines so your list of olympic qualifiers and close to qualifiers would be an authoritative list for tracking first for the quota and to also see the breath of change in the last couple of years 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

13 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Prashanth ...That list which you have prepared was great .................................possibly it would be nice  if you could update the people I had outlined and Suriya outlined by Sanjib .... I think if nothing else it would give us a comprehensive list of high performing athletes we could track not just for the Olympics but later on in the Asian games .....as they are  all capable of medalling for example Jinsons score in the 800m is higher than the silver medal score at the 2014 Asian games , tejinders throw is very close to the Asian games gold medal score of 19.97 ..........

I actually feel that Indian athletics is showing tremendous  progress in the breath and depth of all disciplines so your list of olympic qualifiers and close to qualifiers would be an authoritative list for tracking first for the quota and to also see the breath of change in the last couple of years

Four Wrestlers have been banned by Wrestling Federation of India from participating in the final Olympic qualifier due to disciplinary reasons for their behavior and wrong actions during the last Olympic qualifier which  is scheduled to take place at Istanbul, Turkey, from May 6-8 , 2016.

Phogat Sisters - Babita  Kumari ( forfeited her repechage bout in women's 53kg ) and Geeta ( had pulled out citing injury in 58kg)

Sumit ( Men's 125 kg freestyle ) (  had a chance to book an Olympic berth had he won his repechage round followed by two more bouts, but the heavyweight grappler did not turn up for his repechage bout in 125kg freestyle citing injury ) .

Rahul Aware ( Men's 57 kg freestyle ) (  who was also shortlisted by the federation to train in Tbilisi along with his colleagues, however, refused to go to Georgia, citing that his visa was not done for the two qualification events in Mongolia and Turkey )